Princess Parrotfish

LB Dantzler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice on our newly purchased princess parrotfish, or at least that's what they sold it as, could be a quoyi but I can't tell the difference. We have a 55 gallon tank with live rock and fake coral. In the tank now, we have a pair of clowns, a blue spotted puffer, and a pair of cardinals.

Everything we've read online after the purchase was that these parrotfish can be difficult to care for, they can be picky eaters, and they typically need a larger tank than the one we have. I was just wondering if anyone out there has experience with these and if they could offer some info on this.

The employee at the store that sold him to us said that he would be a good fit, and from past experiences he's seemed to know what he's talking about, but I just want to see what others with experience raising these fish think.

Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
LB Dantzler

LB Dantzler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_0965.JPG
IMG_0961.JPG

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my tank smaller amounts 3 times a day.. My tank is in my home office so I'm there a lot.. Smaller feedings but frequent feedings are so much better than one big feeding... My parrot likes those algae sheets, mysis, just about anything..

OP
OP
LB Dantzler

LB Dantzler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my tank smaller amounts 3 times a day.. My tank is in my home office so I'm there a lot.. Smaller feedings but frequent feedings are so much better than one big feeding... My parrot likes those algae sheets, mysis, just about anything..

Awesome, thanks for the info. How big is the tank you have yours in?

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, awesome setup! Those are some monster puffers!

I love my puffers... I will probably have to upgrade to a 265 or 300 in the future... But I do weekly water changes and my parameters are spot on.... But eventually will have to upgrade.....

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LB Dantzler, you've definitely got a princess - and this is going to sound odd - but he's coloring up very nicely indeed! The bold striping across his eyes is typical for a princess parrot. Tkiry1's parrotfish is a Quoy's - note the green cheek patch, flush of orange behind. They both share the pink / blue / green patterning in their body scales, but in different configurations, with the Quoy's taking on a pink flush to most of its lower half. The pectoral fins differ as well - princess are primarily yellow, Quoy's are blue with a red/orange band.

I've been devouring everything I could find about these guys, and just brought home a Quoy's parrot about four days ago. So far, he's come out of his PVC fitting in QT to look around briefly, but hasn't really begun to explore - and hasn't begun to eat. (I know he was eating at the shop - I could see the scrape-marks on the liverock. I also know that shop had him for about three weeks.) He's frankly making me nervous.

What I've been able to glean from reading around is that, although primarily algae eaters in nature, they'll often take things like mysis and small pellets in aquaria. If they'll come out of their favorite PVC fittings!

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruce's id is spot on.

Parrots feed on a variety of foods in aquaria and benefit from multiple feedings and grazing opportunities.

A larger tank will be needed sooner rather than later. Because even though yours is still small, parrots are very active once they get used to their surroundings.

OP
OP
LB Dantzler

LB Dantzler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LB Dantzler, you've definitely got a princess - and this is going to sound odd - but he's coloring up very nicely indeed! The bold striping across his eyes is typical for a princess parrot. Tkiry1's parrotfish is a Quoy's - note the green cheek patch, flush of orange behind. They both share the pink / blue / green patterning in their body scales, but in different configurations, with the Quoy's taking on a pink flush to most of its lower half. The pectoral fins differ as well - princess are primarily yellow, Quoy's are blue with a red/orange band.

I've been devouring everything I could find about these guys, and just brought home a Quoy's parrot about four days ago. So far, he's come out of his PVC fitting in QT to look around briefly, but hasn't really begun to explore - and hasn't begun to eat. (I know he was eating at the shop - I could see the scrape-marks on the liverock. I also know that shop had him for about three weeks.) He's frankly making me nervous.

What I've been able to glean from reading around is that, although primarily algae eaters in nature, they'll often take things like mysis and small pellets in aquaria. If they'll come out of their favorite PVC fittings!

~Bruce

Thanks so much for all the info, we returned her today.. it wasn't easy, but we knew it was for the best.. couldn't keep her cooped up in a 55 gallon

Thoms_here

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. You did a very responsible thing today that a LOT of people would never do! I am so glad you did the right thing and I wish others would follow your lead. The pet store should have asked what size tank but a lot of retailers don't care they just want the fish gone. Maybe next time just do some more research before you buy. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back