Pro Clear Pro Star aquariums

mcwhng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this appear on LiveAquaria website, Fishtanksdirect, and Petco . Priced to move reef ready low iron rimless tanks with aluminum stands, removable glass panels, plumbing, gravity fed ato, and a sump! Undercuts Red Sea and Waterbox by 400-500 bucks Or more. Looking for anyone who’s seen this in real life or has some experience with these setups.

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have a Pro Clear 150G peninsula and am happy with it. I got it on a Petco sale for $1,300 and had a 10% coupon that doubled up. Then I paid with a bunch of Petco gift cards from Raise.com at a 7% discount so I paid just over $1,000. I've owned smaller Red Sea Reefer tanks and Red Sea is certainly higher quality, though in my opinion, not to a degree that justifies 2-3x the cost.

Pros
  • Price point is very reasonable
  • Large sump, fully plumbed piping
  • Pretty impressive glass quality and silicone work, a true rimless look that rivals Red Sea and Waterbox, no unsightly silicone seams like some cheaper rimless brands
  • Very small overflow box. My tank has a very discreet, compact corner overflow
Cons
  • Cheap Chinese LED light unit that I gave away and replaced with T5s
  • Mediocre quality stand, better than flakeboard JBJ and some use, but not the greatest either
  • Overflow box has small openings at the bottom, so if you have a sandbed, the bottom of the overflow quickly becomes a detritus trap
  • ATO is pretty small for a tank this size, but so is the one included with Red Sea
  • First two tanks arrived completely cracked. It wasn't even that far of a trip because the manufacturer is in Jacksonville and I'm in Tampa area. Plus, tick poor communication on Petco's side - eventually I just called the manufacturer myself to reschedule because no one at Petco had any idea of how to give me a working tracking number or send a replacement for the damaged tank.
Overall, this tank was perfect for me because I wanted a decent tank to last me 3-4 years until an eventual upgrade to a larger Red Sea or equivalent. If you want to purchase this as your forever tank, you may want to reconsider.

Like you, I struggled to find any information or reviews from fellow reefers on this aquarium brand online. I've had it running for almost a year now without issue. I've attached a few pictures and please let me know if there's something else you'd like to see. In the middle of switching up my aquascape, so excuse the rockwork mess.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mcwhng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have a Pro Clear 150G peninsula and am happy with it. I got it on a Petco sale for $1,300 and had a 10% coupon that doubled up. Then I paid with a bunch of Petco gift cards from Raise.com at a 7% discount so I paid just over $1,000. I've owned smaller Red Sea Reefer tanks and Red Sea is certainly higher quality, though in my opinion, not to a degree that justifies 2-3x the cost.

Pros
  • Pretty impressive glass quality and silicone work, a true rimless look that rivals Red Sea and Waterbox, no unsightly silicone seams like some cheaper rimless brands
Cons
  • Mediocre quality stand, better than flakeboard JBJ and some use, but not the greatest either
  • Overflow box has small openings at the bottom, so if you have a sandbed, the bottom of the overflow quickly becomes a detritus trap
  • ATO is pretty small for a tank this size, but so is the one included with Red Sea
  • First two tanks arrived completely cracked. It wasn't even that far of a trip because the manufacturer is in Jacksonville and I'm in Tampa area. Plus, **** poor communication on Petco's side - eventually I just called the manufacturer myself to reschedule because no one at Petco had any idea of how to give me a working tracking number or send a replacement for the damaged tank.
Overall, this tank was perfect for me because I wanted a decent tank to last me 3-4 years until an eventual upgrade to a larger Red Sea or equivalent. If you want to purchase this as your forever tank, you may want to reconsider.

Like you, I struggled to find any information or reviews from fellow reefers on this aquarium brand online. I've had it running for almost a year now without issue. I've attached a few pictures and please let me know if there's something else you'd like to see. In the middle of switching up my aquascape, so excuse the rockwork mess.

1.jpg

2.jpg
Thanks for the detailed info. What about the stand made you think it wasn’t adequate or made you unhappy?

OP
OP
M

mcwhng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pros
Cons
  • First two tanks arrived completely cracked. It wasn't even that far of a trip because the manufacturer is in Jacksonville and I'm in Tampa area. Plus, **** poor communication on Petco's side - eventually I just called the manufacturer myself to reschedule because no one at Petco had any idea of how to give me a working tracking number or send a replacement for the damaged tank.

1.jpg

2.jpg
This setup looks different from the Prostar setups I’ve seen on Liveaquaria and Petco websites. The stands are aluminum frames with glass and acrylic removable panels. I think your setup isn’t the one I’ve seen online.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pros
Cons

1.jpg

2.jpg

Really nicely said. I wouldn't purchase the tank based on your thoughts, but it gives the perspective buyer a real insight before purchasing. thank you!

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this appear on LiveAquaria website, Fishtanksdirect, and Petco . Priced to move reef ready low iron rimless tanks with aluminum stands, removable glass panels, plumbing, gravity fed ato, and a sump! Undercuts Red Sea and Waterbox by 400-500 bucks Or more. Looking for anyone who’s seen this in real life or has some experience with these setups.

Haven't set it up yet but starting a build thread:

So far only got to the stand. Had a few issues but so far resolving. Hope to get water in it and test within the week. I have some pics of a display model.

Pros:
Seems to be a decent build on the display tank
Big sump
Love the glass/metal cabinet
Shipped fast
Cabinet fully assembled
Price
Quick response from manufacturer

Cons:
Cheap plumbing
Had a few issues on the cabinet (still need to water test the display tank)
Socks are metric/special sized

The overflow was quite at the display but I am waiting to see when I get mine running to see.

I was planning to replace the piping anyway. For the sock filters I am just cutting out the piece of plastic and making one out of acrylic that fits standard socks.

OP
OP
M

mcwhng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't set it up yet but starting a build thread:

So far only got to the stand. Had a few issues but so far resolving. Hope to get water in it and test within the week. I have some pics of a display model.

Pros:
Seems to be a decent build on the display tank
Big sump
Love the glass/metal cabinet
Shipped fast
Cabinet fully assembled
Price
Quick response from manufacturer

Cons:
Cheap plumbing
Had a few issues on the cabinet (still need to water test the display tank)
Socks are metric/special sized

The overflow was quite at the display but I am waiting to see when I get mine running to see.

I was planning to replace the piping anyway. For the sock filters I am just cutting out the piece of plastic and making one out of acrylic that fits standard socks.
Ive been following your build and was hoping you’d chime in
Thanks for the input- it’s a pretty attractive budget friendly setup for those of us who would not like to blow the budget just on equipment. Please let us know if you have any further info to help people decide which system to get.

OP
OP
M

mcwhng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious and did a search, can’t find them on their sites
Look under new equipment or aquariums and stands on Liveaquaria site to find Proclear Prostar systems. Several choices from nano to 220 gallon setups.

Last edited:

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been following your build and was hoping you’d chime in
Thanks for the input- it’s a pretty attractive budget friendly setup for those of us who would not like to blow the budget just on equipment. Please let us know if you have any further info to help people decide which system to get.
I will grab some pics of the tank tomorrow.

The glass looks good and the silicon looks clean. You won’t be able to change the drains/returns in the overflow box easily (if you wanted a bean or something else. But listening to them on display they were silent, but didn’t know how much flow they were pumping.

I agree with the budget. I was looking for the display and stand. The sump and plumbing I can change out or upgrade easier. I liked all the room underneath in the stand unlike the Waterbox and with the recent failures of the Reefers (notices they came out with a new version) thought this was a better option for the price. Time will tell ... also a two year warranty.

I did have two issues with the doors not leveled can’t get them leveled yet and the stand was missing a foot. Pro Clear was very quick to respond and friendly. Hope to get water in it after the holidays.

I’ll post on my build page.

OP
OP
M

mcwhng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will grab some pics of the tank tomorrow.

The glass looks good and the silicon looks clean. You won’t be able to change the drains/returns in the overflow box easily (if you wanted a bean or something else. But listening to them on display they were silent, but didn’t know how much flow they were pumping.

I agree with the budget. I was looking for the display and stand. The sump and plumbing I can change out or upgrade easier. I liked all the room underneath in the stand unlike the Waterbox and with the recent failures of the Reefers (notices they came out with a new version) thought this was a better option for the price. Time will tell ... also a two year warranty.

I did have two issues with the doors not leveled can’t get them leveled yet and the stand was missing a foot. Pro Clear was very quick to respond and friendly. Hope to get water in it after the holidays.

I’ll post on my build page.
Great info-thanks! I’m following your project.

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your build man I have literally thousands of dollars of equipment :Neptune systems (apex,DOS x 2 ,trident, auto top off,auto feeder, flow module for carbon reactor and overflow and return), ecotech (Radion XR15 G5 x2 and vortech mp40 x2, and vectra S2), Reef Octopus Regal 200 space saver w/varios, and 2 Klir DI-4 rollermat fleece filter. There’s more but that’s all the big stuff

But then my tank.... cheap dollar per gallon sale 55 gal tank with a HOB overflow(tank is tempered otherwise I’d drill it) and my sump is a diy 10 rimless I got acrylic precision cut to make my own design with the baffles it’s actually pretty crazy how I got it all to fit.

But I’m Justin waiting for the in stock email to get my pro star rimless V2 200

tell me how do you like it?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back