Pro Reef salt from Turkey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've already done that and then some months ago I believe I was one of the first to fill out his form. I'm starting to think the aim is for them to ignore it sadly.
If you have already sent me an email, and I did not respond, I apologize. I try really hard to reply to every email I get. I appreciate that you filled out our form. Thank you. That form has been very helpful in our gathering data about this situation. That being said, entry on that form does not automatically generate an email. So please, if you have already emailed me, and I did not respond, I would very much appreciate a follow up email from you so I can address your concerns directly. And if that is the case, again my apologies for not responding to your initial message to me.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you have already sent me an email, and I did not respond, I apologize. I try really hard to reply to every email I get. I appreciate that you filled out our form. Thank you. That form has been very helpful in our gathering data about this situation. That being said, entry on that form does not automatically generate an email. So please, if you have already emailed me, and I did not respond, I would very much appreciate a follow up email from you so I can address your concerns directly. And if that is the case, again my apologies for not responding to your initial message to me.

Hey Lou,

Thanks a lot for chiming in I'm sure this is noting short of a nightmare having to deal with, but I think the question a lot of us have here, that's been carefully avoided with regard to any German salt is, what is the oily film on the surface of the newly mixed saltwater as well as the white particulate floating on the surface?

I am a long time TM user as well, and in over 15 years this is the first time I have experienced this. I am still in the process of using this new salt in my back up system and I'm about 4 buckets in now. Tank is doing well to ok after an initial downturn immediately following a few extra large water changes with the new salt. I dont believe these issues were related to a problem with the salt rather the volume of the WC's I did initially that threw a few params off a bit. Not really ready to blame the salt yet in fact the more time that goes by in they back up I am gaining confidence that this salt may be ok. Believe me, I very much want to confidently use the rest of this salt I've got here. 30+ buckets.

anyway, this is a question that has been asked a number of times, to which an answer has not been provided. Other than a blanket stating that you're all confident the German salt is perfectly fine.

I am really just wondering what is the film on the surface of the German salt, and why is it there?

Last edited:

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Lou,

Thanks a lot for chiming in I'm sure this is noting short of a nightmare having to deal with, but I think the question a lot of us have here, that's been carefully avoided with regard to any German salt is, what is the oily film on the surface of the newly mixed saltwater as well as the white particulate floating on the surface?

I am a long time TM user as well, and in over 15 years this is the first time I have experienced this. I am still in the process of using this new salt in my back up system and I'm about 4 buckets in now. Tank is doing well to ok after an initial downturn immediacy following a few extra large water changes with the new salt.

anyway, this is a question that has been asked a number of times, to which an answer has not been provided. Other than a blanket stating that you're all confident the German salt is perfectly fine.

I am really just wondering what is the film on the surface of the German salt, and why is it there?
I also noticed a white film on top, but, I am still using the Turkey salt as I already had opened the box.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Lou,

I am a long time TM user as well, and in over 15 years this is the first time I have experienced this. I am still in the process of using this new salt in my back up system and I'm about 4 buckets in now. Tank is doing well to ok after an initial downturn immediately following a few extra large water changes with the new salt. I dont believe these issues were related to a problem with the salt rather the volume of the WC's I did initially that threw a few params off a bit. Not really ready to blame the salt yet in fact the more time that goes by in they back up I am gaining confidence that this salt may be ok. Believe me, I very much want to confidently use the rest of this salt I've got here. 30+ buckets.

I currently use the German salt and also notice a film at the top of the water. Haven’t noticed any adverse health from the livestock (fish or coral) at the moment.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Lou,

@IKD @Billldg

What looks like an oil film is actually extremely finely divided, poorly soluble or insoluble inorganic material. These are insoluble components of natural salts. This is something that we are able to reproduce in the lab, if we mix the salt to very high concentrations. It is also something that has always shown up, from time to time, in ours, and many other salts as well. It is likely noticed more often now, as people are looking much more carefully at their salt mixing solutions. You will often even see this “film” show up on the surface of the water in your spaghetti pot if you tend to add enough salt to the boiling water and you look carefully enough. This “film” is completely normal, does not affect anything, and is nothing to be concerned about.

I hope this adequately answers the question.

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Lou,

Is this the film you are referring to? I just noticed this today when I was going to mix a batch and came here to see if people were having issues with the German?

Attachments

• D3540B68-7AA4-4EC7-9811-879476F1072D.jpeg
    D3540B68-7AA4-4EC7-9811-879476F1072D.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 83
  • EA3AA2BB-0E24-4C50-805B-8AD81F21A0A0.jpeg
    EA3AA2BB-0E24-4C50-805B-8AD81F21A0A0.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 85
  • B0FAA39E-CE7D-4AC2-8B47-0B6B416E9557.jpeg
    B0FAA39E-CE7D-4AC2-8B47-0B6B416E9557.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 84

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@IKD @Billldg

What looks like an oil film is actually extremely finely divided, poorly soluble or insoluble inorganic material. These are insoluble components of natural salts. This is something that we are able to reproduce in the lab, if we mix the salt to very high concentrations. It is also something that has always shown up, from time to time, in ours, and many other salts as well. It is likely noticed more often now, as people are looking much more carefully at their salt mixing solutions. You will often even see this “film” show up on the surface of the water in your spaghetti pot if you tend to add enough salt to the boiling water and you look carefully enough. This “film” is completely normal, does not affect anything, and is nothing to be concerned about.

I hope this adequately answers the question.

It does Lou and thanks a lot for the explanation. I agree that this could have easily gone unnoticed in the past.

I will say again that I’ve pumped about 4 buckets worth into my 300 gallon now over the course of 2 months and have not had anything id consider alarming occur. As of today I would say that the German classic I have seems to be just fine regardless of the surface film and floating flakes.

I appreciate the input tremendously. Thanks again.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a good laugh

I'm not sure it is a good laugh. It is an update with nothing new to really report. No findings.

It’s not me, it’s all of you

I didn't get that out of it at all although I can see why you wrote that. The comment about doing a 10 or 20 percent water change using other salts and reports of things looking better is interesting. To be honest it is a valid observation.

I think the question that should have been asked is a bit more about what sort of testing has been done both internal and by external parties. Personally speaking my last bucket of TM Pro Reef was from Turkey and I didn't notice any issues. Heck - I thought the bucket was from Germany...

Happy to offer up bar code or any other lot/salt information if it helps.

Mixed clean as before
No smell
No coral loss
No fish loss
No cloudiness

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure it is a good laugh. It is an update with nothing new to really report. No findings.

I didn't get that out of it at all although I can see why you wrote that. The comment about doing a 10 or 20 percent water change using other salts and reports of things looking better is interesting. To be honest it is a valid observation.

I think the question that should have been asked is a bit more about what sort of testing has been done both internal and by external parties. Personally speaking my last bucket of TM Pro Reef was from Turkey and I didn't notice any issues. Heck - I thought the bucket was from Germany...

Mixed clean as before
No smell
No coral loss
No fish loss
No cloudiness
I was half-joking with the comment but the reports of ‘improvement’ (not miracle turnaround) from a water change make sense to me. I wish there would be at least some update on the ‘clay’ material they found. I would hope they would have details more specifically on what it was and how it got introduced. My other hope would be an honest community that would speak up if they discovered that switching salts didn’t fix there problems and TM wasn’t the culprit.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I has said in my build thread, I am using TM Pro Turkey blend and I am not having any issues. @Lou Ekus, If you need me to send a sample along with the UPC let me know.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was half-joking with the comment but the reports of ‘improvement’ (not miracle turnaround) from a water change make sense to me. I wish there would be at least some update on the ‘clay’ material they found. I would hope they would have details more specifically on what it was and how it got introduced. My other hope would be an honest community that would speak up if they discovered that switching salts didn’t fix there problems and TM wasn’t the culprit.
I will say in my case it was a stepwise improvement with every water change. Acropora definitely perked up fairly quickly but it was progressive. I think some of the discrepancy with people's observations may lie with the coral they keep. I can't say I really noticed any issues with LPS but SPS definitely showed they were ticked off. Tanks with more easier coral may not have skipped a beat.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I has said in my build thread, I am using TM Pro Turkey blend and I am not having any issues. @Lou Ekus, If you need me to send a sample along with the UPC let me know.

I emailed Tropic Marin with a photo of the UPC label. I received a email from Mr. Werner but wasn't asked for anything further.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mixed clean as before
No smell
No coral loss
No fish loss
No cloudiness

Last edited:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mixed clean as before
No smell
No coral loss
No fish loss
No cloudiness

Last edited:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Last edited:

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I still never had any issues with the salt from turkey. Went through 5 buckets on a 90 gallon system. No residue or brown sludge. No die off either.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back