Pro Reef salt from Turkey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’ve ran through 3 boxes of the “Turkish delight” and nothing has changed. mixes perfect in my 55 barrels, smells like a sneeze is coming because salt burns my nose, no residue or parameter changes.
It looks like the Turkish delight that was imported to BRS around Nov 2021 may be a bad batch (or something is definitely different with the batch)… cloudy water, the citrus chemical smell, brown sludge. Never been an issue with the German made salt.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this post will be cut and pasted, and in some instances my comments may be misrepresented. However, this issue is important enough that I would still like to try to address it. I also apologize for the length of this post. But there is a lot I need to say.

Tropic Marin has been one of the most respected salt manufacturers for well over 50 years. In addition to our loyal hobbyists, our products are used by zoos, aquariums, and research facilities around the globe. This positions us extremely well to identify any systemic issue with our products. We have tens of thousands of buckets and boxes of salt in the marketplace that were manufactured in our new facility in Turkey. Much of that product has gone to commercial accounts including many research facilities working with extremely sensitive organisms. We have not seen one complaint from any of those accounts. Contacting them directly for feedback has not turned up any concerns. This is in addition to our internal ICP and HPLC testing of many batch samples.

I, personally, have done everything I can to track down and address as many of the hobbyists concerns as possible. For all the online mentions of “tons of them”, they amount to a couple of dozen at best. However, the small number doesn’t stop me from still trying to track down each one and help. People have been very “vocal” in message boards. But seem very hesitant to reply to requests for direct contact. And when I have been able to make personal contact, they are then very hesitant to submit samples of the salt they are complaining about. This has resulted in my only being able to actually test a hand full of samples from customers complaining of issues. Of those samples none has resulted in my being able to reproduce any of the concerns.

Here are just two specific examples:

This is the result of a test of a sample from a customer complaining of “cloudy” result when mixing water change water. This is what the test water looked like right after everything was dissolved. The bucket on the top is my “control” mixed with salt made in the German facility. The bucket on the bottom is the result of the mixing with the sample, from the customer, of salt made in the Turkish facility:
1641226115893.png

This is the picture of the clarity, with a fork in the bottom of the buckets for easier viewing. This is the salt made in the German facility in the left photo and the Turkish facility in the right photo:
1641226179051.png
1641226194104.png

As you can see, they are Both crystal clear!

Here is another example. In order to address the complaints of “brown residue”, I left the salt sit in the bucket. The photo on the left is right after mixing. The photo on the right is after 14 days in the bucket:
1641226234100.png
1641226248930.png

As you can see, these are just two examples of testing where I was not able to reproduce the complaint, no matter how hard I tried or how long I left the sample sitting. BY the way, I did not smell an acidic scent when mixing the salt either.

I am NOT saying that the complaint is in the customer’s head. I am NOT saying that they are not having the issue. But I am saying that I cannot reproduce the issue when reproducing their mixing procedure with the same exact salt.

Tropic Marin stands behind it’s products 100%. We will continue to follow up on every complaint that we can. We will continue to do our best to help our customers when they are experiencing any type of issue. We respectfully ask that you help us by contacting us directly and sending in samples when needed. Forums like these are fantastic places to discuss methods, principles and issues in reef keeping. They are less effective when being used for individual product support and customer service issues. Those types of things are much more effectively done in direct contact. I am always available to help. You can email me directly at [email protected]. Or you can call the office, during east coast business hours at 413-367-0101.

There has been no change in the formula of Tropic Marin salt. This is true for both of our German facilities AND for our facility in Turkey. There has been no compromise in raw materials grades, mixing procedures or quality controls in ANY of our facilities, including our one in Turkey. There should be no differences in salt made from ANY of the Tropic Marin manufacturing facilities. We have done extensive and exhaustive testing of our salt products from our Turkish facility and find NO differences in comparison to the salt manufactured in our German facility. We encourage any user of Tropic Marin products to contact us directly, at the email or phone number above, with any complaints or concerns. We will be more than happy to help address your issue.

I sincerely hope that this post in taken as intended and shows the commitment that Tropic Marin has to our customers and to the the continued quality of our products.

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I know this post will be cut and pasted, and in some instances my comments may be misrepresented. However, this issue is important enough that I would still like to try to address it. I also apologize for the length of this post. But there is a lot I need to say.

Tropic Marin has been one of the most respected salt manufacturers for well over 50 years. In addition to our loyal hobbyists, our products are used by zoos, aquariums, and research facilities around the globe. This positions us extremely well to identify any systemic issue with our products. We have tens of thousands of buckets and boxes of salt in the marketplace that were manufactured in our new facility in Turkey. Much of that product has gone to commercial accounts including many research facilities working with extremely sensitive organisms. We have not seen one complaint from any of those accounts. Contacting them directly for feedback has not turned up any concerns. This is in addition to our internal ICP and HPLC testing of many batch samples.

I, personally, have done everything I can to track down and address as many of the hobbyists concerns as possible. For all the online mentions of “tons of them”, they amount to a couple of dozen at best. However, the small number doesn’t stop me from still trying to track down each one and help. People have been very “vocal” in message boards. But seem very hesitant to reply to requests for direct contact. And when I have been able to make personal contact, they are then very hesitant to submit samples of the salt they are complaining about. This has resulted in my only being able to actually test a hand full of samples from customers complaining of issues. Of those samples none has resulted in my being able to reproduce any of the concerns.

Here are just two specific examples:

This is the result of a test of a sample from a customer complaining of “cloudy” result when mixing water change water. This is what the test water looked like right after everything was dissolved. The bucket on the top is my “control” mixed with salt made in the German facility. The bucket on the bottom is the result of the mixing with the sample, from the customer, of salt made in the Turkish facility:
1641226115893.png

This is the picture of the clarity, with a fork in the bottom of the buckets for easier viewing. This is the salt made in the German facility in the left photo and the Turkish facility in the right photo:
1641226179051.png
1641226194104.png

As you can see, they are Both crystal clear!

Here is another example. In order to address the complaints of “brown residue”, I left the salt sit in the bucket. The photo on the left is right after mixing. The photo on the right is after 14 days in the bucket:
1641226234100.png
1641226248930.png

As you can see, these are just two examples of testing where I was not able to reproduce the complaint, no matter how hard I tried or how long I left the sample sitting. BY the way, I did not smell an acidic scent when mixing the salt either.

I am NOT saying that the complaint is in the customer’s head. I am NOT saying that they are not having the issue. But I am saying that I cannot reproduce the issue when reproducing their mixing procedure with the same exact salt.

Tropic Marin stands behind it’s products 100%. We will continue to follow up on every complaint that we can. We will continue to do our best to help our customers when they are experiencing any type of issue. We respectfully ask that you help us by contacting us directly and sending in samples when needed. Forums like these are fantastic places to discuss methods, principles and issues in reef keeping. They are less effective when being used for individual product support and customer service issues. Those types of things are much more effectively done in direct contact. I am always available to help. You can email me directly at [email protected]. Or you can call the office, during east coast business hours at 413-367-0101.

There has been no change in the formula of Tropic Marin salt. This is true for both of our German facilities AND for our facility in Turkey. There has been no compromise in raw materials grades, mixing procedures or quality controls in ANY of our facilities, including our one in Turkey. There should be no differences in salt made from ANY of the Tropic Marin manufacturing facilities. We have done extensive and exhaustive testing of our salt products from our Turkish facility and find NO differences in comparison to the salt manufactured in our German facility. We encourage any user of Tropic Marin products to contact us directly, at the email or phone number above, with any complaints or concerns. We will be more than happy to help address your issue.

I sincerely hope that this post in taken as intended and shows the commitment that Tropic Marin has to our customers and to the the continued quality of our products.
@Lou Ekus Thank you for your reply. There are several other threads here on R2R (mostly in the chemistry forum) also having issues with new batches of the salt out of Turkey along with many threads/comments in local FB groups of people having issues. Perhaps a bad batch went out and otherwise normally there is no issues with your Turkish made salt? Simply stating that there is no differences between the two facilities still negats the fact that many are having issues with a batch of salt that came out of your Turkey plant around Oct-Nov 2021 mainly distributed by BRS.

I did keep a baggie of the Turkish salt that I would be more than happy to send in to you provided a shipping label, along with some of my German salt that I still have, so you can test and clearly see/smell the physical differences. Feel free to reach out to me if you would like them.

I did not come here to bash on TM - I LOVE your products and the research you and Hans have done for the hobby. I have been using them since the early 2000s, and I will continue to use your other products. The outsourcing of your salt, personally for me as a consumer, I will no longer buy now unless I can buy German production batches.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus Thank you for your reply. There are several other threads here on R2R (mostly in the chemistry forum) also having issues with new batches of the salt out of Turkey along with many threads/comments in local FB groups of people having issues. Perhaps a bad batch went out and otherwise normally there is no issues with your Turkish made salt? Simply stating that there is no differences between the two facilities still negats the fact that many are having issues with a batch of salt that came out of your Turkey plant around Oct-Nov 2021 mainly distributed by BRS.

I did keep a baggie of the Turkish salt that I would be more than happy to send in to you provided a shipping label, along with some of my German salt that I still have, so you can test and clearly see/smell the physical differences. Feel free to reach out to me if you would like them.

I did not come here to bash on TM - I LOVE your products and the research you and Hans have done for the hobby. I have been using them since the early 2000s, and I will continue to use your other products. The outsourcing of your salt, personally for me as a consumer, I will no longer buy now unless I can buy German production batches.
Thanks for your reply. I will see how I can send a shipping label to you to get that batch number and sample. Can you email me with your full contact information so I can get back to you on that?

I wish this was as simple as a "bad batch of salt" that came out of our Turkish facility. And I wish there were some way to compile the complaints. I am doing my best to do that. From what I am seeing, as I do as much research into this as possible, many of the posts in different threads and forums come from a small group of the same people. When I try to get batch numbers, some reply and some do not. If this turns out to be a single "bad batch" we will find that, I promise! My comments are not meant to "negate" anything. I try my best to just state the facts as I have them.

I completely understand your concerns, and understand that I am concerned as well! Please do not confuse our manufacturing facility in Turkey with "outsourcing". This is not the case. Outsourcing is an agreement in which one company hires another company to be responsible for a planned or existing activity. Our team in Germany is completely responsible for the operation of the facility in Turkey. As I have said in other posts, the entire process, materials, quality control and monitoring is controlled by our team in Germany.

I hope to hear from you in email so I can get that batch number and sample to test here. Thank you again for offering to do that.

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This morning after mixing overnight, the TM I got from BRS is still not clear. What’s worse is I can actually see the brown sludge at the bottom of my brute can before even draining it! That is a first for me. I’ve dealt with Red Sea brown sludge plenty, but never have I been able to see it before wiping the container. I’m very disappointed and concerned. The solution also still has the same odor of citrus cleaning products. But hey, Lou said above that their products are 100% safe so let’s see how my QT tank likes it. Parameters 1.025 salinity, 6.5 alkalinity (so now I have to supplement, great) Ca 410, Mg 1200! My test kit is a Red Sea with an esp date of 9/2022 and using an ATC refractometer. My water comes from a well on my property and I have a whole home treatment system. TDS going into my dual membrane RO unit is 120ish. I let my rodi water Gas off overnight. Then remove the remaining ~5 tds with BRS dual canister DI resins. I’ve been mixing multiple brands for years and at the very least none of them have ever had a fragrance. I’ve got both my TM boxes here and will contact the appropriate parties Monday I guess. I’ve attached pictures taken just now. One is my brute can mixing Red Sea as my back-up, the other is TM. I’ll let y’all decide which is which based on what I’ve said so far. For years, after mixing a large batch of water I will hose down the inside of the can, and then spray down the inside with RODI water, and dry it out with paper towels. My brute cans are always clean, always ready.
5DE4EA23-CD3D-42FC-936C-99766CC1D4A5.jpeg
BB63F418-ADB9-4127-A4BC-EC42DD53CFBA.jpeg
@FragQueen can you please provide the batch number on your salts? I unfortunately no longer have my packaging to get that info but we are experiencing the same thing, so we have the same batch i'm assuming.

@Lou Ekus, PM sent

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All it takes is one disgruntled employee who was having a bad day or not happy with the raise/no raise/covid situation and many bad batch of salt can contain urine lol. Not saying it is what happened but if there is a chance.... Unless TM uses 100% machine manufacturing, but then, there can be glitches.

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to put this out there and I am sure it will sounds a little harsh.
However I really am perplexed as to why this is become such a major issue to identify.

Lou has responded and is willing to have salt batch number and also willing to send a return label so that this issue can be identified.

All those that had issues with cats tick smell and elevationed iron ect should be sent icp test of freshly mixed batch and a sample to tmc for testing.

I am sure tmc internally have conducted icp tests of the salt.

The only reason they outsourced to Turkey is because of cheaper facility running costs and cheaper Labour, unfortunately Turkey doesn't always rhym with quality unlike Germany.
I personally haven't come across the Turkish Delight salt mix yet, however I am a bit wary of this and would like to see if more people have experienced this issue or its simply bad batch?!

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning after mixing overnight, the TM I got from BRS is still not clear. What’s worse is I can actually see the brown sludge at the bottom of my brute can before even draining it! That is a first for me. I’ve dealt with Red Sea brown sludge plenty, but never have I been able to see it before wiping the container. I’m very disappointed and concerned. The solution also still has the same odor of citrus cleaning products. But hey, Lou said above that their products are 100% safe so let’s see how my QT tank likes it. Parameters 1.025 salinity, 6.5 alkalinity (so now I have to supplement, great) Ca 410, Mg 1200! My test kit is a Red Sea with an esp date of 9/2022 and using an ATC refractometer. My water comes from a well on my property and I have a whole home treatment system. TDS going into my dual membrane RO unit is 120ish. I let my rodi water Gas off overnight. Then remove the remaining ~5 tds with BRS dual canister DI resins. I’ve been mixing multiple brands for years and at the very least none of them have ever had a fragrance. I’ve got both my TM boxes here and will contact the appropriate parties Monday I guess. I’ve attached pictures taken just now. One is my brute can mixing Red Sea as my back-up, the other is TM. I’ll let y’all decide which is which based on what I’ve said so far. For years, after mixing a large batch of water I will hose down the inside of the can, and then spray down the inside with RODI water, and dry it out with paper towels. My brute cans are always clean, always ready.
5DE4EA23-CD3D-42FC-936C-99766CC1D4A5.jpeg
BB63F418-ADB9-4127-A4BC-EC42DD53CFBA.jpeg
All your parameters are lower than expected. This can be a sign your refractometer is off. About 10% off actually.
You are experiencing the exact same thing I am. Brown residue and low parameters. I've had to dose Alkalinty but now I have to add Alk, Ca and Mg because all three are low.

I'm about half this new bucket. I'm looking for a new salt mix. I think I'm going to give Brightwell a try. If I like it ill replace TMP with it.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are experiencing the exact same thing I am. Brown residue and low parameters. I've had to dose Alkalinty but now I have to add Alk, Ca and Mg because all three are low.

I'm about half this new bucket. I'm looking for a new salt mix. I think I'm going to give Brightwell a try. If I like it ill replace TMP with it.
As I have explained, the "brown sludge" that you are getting is most likely a result of Mn metabolization by bacteria or oxidation. I am sorry that you are seeing that and we are doing our best to try to understand why this might be showing up as often as it is right now. So I will "hedge" on that issue for the moment and just say we are working on this none stop.

However, I can say, with 100% certainty, that we have NO batches of salt with low parameters in the marketplace. In fact, if you have a bucket of salt manufactured in our facility in Turkey, the chance that the parameters are all low is extremely low! I never say anything is "impossible". But in this case, it is as close to that as it can be. Being a new manufacturing facility for Tropic Marin, no matter where it is located, the quality control of the products coming out of that facility is extremely tight. There is more batch testing and tighter control standards than there usually is, precisely to avoid a new facility putting out some sub standard Tropic Marin product. And that QC is ALL controlled by our Team in Germany.

I understand that this looks like I am just trying to defend the company that I work for. It looks like I am being a good brand team member. But in your case, I am saying this to let you know that the chance that the Ca, alkalinity and Mg all being low is most unlikely. This is especially true of a bucket of salt from our new facility due to the increased QC standards being implemented there. If you are getting ALL low readings, please check your salinity measurement or any other thing that could influence those measured values. If you find a cause for an inaccuracy in measurements, then please also check your tank system, as the values there may also be off.

I say this out of concern for your corals and your system. Not as a Tropic Marin team member. I sincerely hope you take it in the way I mean it.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As I have explained, the "brown sludge" that you are getting is most likely a result of Mn metabolization by bacteria or oxidation. I am sorry that you are seeing that and we are doing our best to try to understand why this might be showing up as often as it is right now. So I will "hedge" on that issue for the moment and just say we are working on this none stop.

However, I can say, with 100% certainty, that we have NO batches of salt with low parameters in the marketplace. In fact, if you have a bucket of salt manufactured in our facility in Turkey, the chance that the parameters are all low is extremely low! I never say anything is "impossible". But in this case, it is as close to that as it can be. Being a new manufacturing facility for Tropic Marin, no matter where it is located, the quality control of the products coming out of that facility is extremely tight. There is more batch testing and tighter control standards than there usually is, precisely to avoid a new facility putting out some sub standard Tropic Marin product. And that QC is ALL controlled by our Team in Germany.

I understand that this looks like I am just trying to defend the company that I work for. It looks like I am being a good brand team member. But in your case, I am saying this to let you know that the chance that the Ca, alkalinity and Mg all being low is most unlikely. This is especially true of a bucket of salt from our new facility due to the increased QC standards being implemented there. If you are getting ALL low readings, please check your salinity measurement or any other thing that could influence those measured values. If you find a cause for an inaccuracy in measurements, then please also check your tank system, as the values there may also be off.

I say this out of concern for your corals and your system. Not as a Tropic Marin team member. I sincerely hope you take it in the way I mean it.

The last two ICP tests I've seen for the Turkey TM salt has had elevated Manganese. Wonder if this is what everyone is seeing

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last two ICP tests I've seen for the Turkey TM salt has had elevated Manganese. Wonder if this is what everyone is seeing
Both Mn and Fe get metabolized VERY quickly. They are also elements that are almost always elevated, above NSW levels, in freshly mixed salt water. This elevation does not cause an elevated value in the reef system due to this quick metabolization. As far as I know, this is true for many brands. The concentrations of these elements, in freshly made Tropic Marin salt mix is not appreciably different today than it has historically been on our salts. This is true for all of our manufacturing facilities. So, while I agree that this looks like a good place to start, it is probably a value that is getting noticed now, but in actuality, has not changed from before.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record my last 2 salt mixes from Turkey as follows:

Alk 7.5 ( which i dose before going to tank to 8
Cal 450
Mag 1400

No brown and clear mix both times. I'm not here defending anyone, i like TMP have used for the last 3 years..

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just mixed the classic Tropic Marin. Alk is 10.2. PO4 is 0. Mixed up 50 gallons that is clean with no residue. I knows this thread is about the Pro salt. Just thought I'd throw this out there if anyone wanted to use the classic to avoid the Pro issues.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Both Mn and Fe get metabolized VERY quickly. They are also elements that are almost always elevated, above NSW levels, in freshly mixed salt water. This elevation does not cause an elevated value in the reef system due to this quick metabolization. As far as I know, this is true for many brands. The concentrations of these elements, in freshly made Tropic Marin salt mix is not appreciably different today than it has historically been on our salts. This is true for all of our manufacturing facilities. So, while I agree that this looks like a good place to start, it is probably a value that is getting noticed now, but in actuality, has not changed from before.

What should Manganese be in freshly made TM Pro?

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I don't remember off hand and the team is gone by now in Germany. But I just went through this with them and the current level was the same as before. Sorry I don't remember.

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lou, thank you for your response. I just tonight mixed anew batch of water. I checked the salinity using a new Hanna digital refractometer it mmrasured 1.026. I double checked us a hand held freshly calibrated handheld refractometer that also reads 1.026. I bought the Hanna digital revpfrac because my Hanna salinity checker stopped working, I e always backed that up with my handheld refrac.

I'll measure the Ca, Mg and Alk before I use the water tomorrow. The Alk I know I have to increase, I always do. That's no big deal. I can tell you the last two time I've made with this same bucket I've had to increase both Ca and Mg along with the usual increase in Alk.

That said you bring up a good point, one I didn't consider. The last two times I've made water I only had my handheld refrac to check salinity. While icalobraye every single time I use it it's certainly possible it could be off or my eyes could be wrong. I'll know tomorrow and either way ill let you know.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So, while I agree that this looks like a good place to start, it is probably a value that is getting noticed now, but in actuality, has not changed from before.

@rtparty Not the answer your looking for but here is a salt only icp on TMPR i done May 2018 , like i said back a page it was elevated back then also (Mn + FE) like what Lou is trying to explain to everybody.

I don't have a dog in this fight as i'm not even using this salt but i can also mention that a redsea blue bucket test had even higher Mn

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I don't remember off hand and the team is gone by now in Germany.
For our salts mixed in Germany I can help Lou out! :)

In our Germany-mixed salt mixes we usually find around 100 ppb Mn with extremes from ca. 80 to 180 ppb. Concentrations are determinded by our routine ICP-OES batch checks.

I recall a talk of Julian Sprung some years ago where he attributed the success with Goniopora at the Waikiki Aquarium Hawaii to the water taken from a well rich in manganese. :) Maybe our Turkey-mixed salt is a bit low in manganese?;)

Iron concentrations we find in our Germany-mixed salts are around 1/3 of the Mn concentrations, around 30 ppb. In my experience it is advantagous if the Mn supply exceeds the Fe supply, which also applies to our other products containing and supplying trace elements, like All-For-Reef and K+ Elements. In my experience the corals like it better this way round.

Nevertheless, in running tanks Fe and Mn usually are below the detection limits of ICP-OES. I think most of these two trace metals is precipitated by bacteria quite rapidly. If water is circulated for some time in the mixing tanks bacteria will grow which will precipitate manganese. We have checked the resulting brown "dust" with ICP-OES, and it hast turned out to be mainly manganese as I had expected. The blackish-brown color like the Söchting Oxidator ceramic is quite typical.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For our salts mixed in Germany I can help Lou out! :)

In our Germany-mixed salt mixes we usually find around 100 ppb Mn with extremes from ca. 80 to 180 ppb. Concentrations are determinded by our routine ICP-OES batch checks.

I recall a talk of Julian Sprung some years ago where he attributed the success with Goniopora at the Waikiki Aquarium Hawaii to the water taken from a well rich in manganese. :) Maybe our Turkey-mixed salt is a bit low in manganese?;)

Iron concentrations we find in our Germany-mixed salts are around 1/3 of the Mn concentrations, around 30 ppb. In my experience it is advantagous if the Mn supply exceeds the Fe supply, which also applies to our other products containing and supplying trace elements, like All-For-Reef and K+ Elements. In my experience the corals like it better this way round.

Nevertheless, in running tanks Fe and Mn usually are below the detection limits of ICP-OES. I think most of these two trace metals is precipitated by bacteria quite rapidly. If water is circulated for some time in the mixing tanks bacteria will grow which will precipitate manganese. We have checked the resulting brown "dust" with ICP-OES, and it hast turned out to be mainly manganese as I had expected. The blackish-brown color like the Söchting Oxidator ceramic is quite typical.
Thank you for the response.

Both ICP results for the Turkish salt had manganese over 300ppb. So this may explain the brown residue people are seeing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back