Pro Reef salt from Turkey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it’s dirty period fix it..
How? If it's iron and/or manganese being metabolized by bacteria and the bacteria is in your lines, what do you want them to do? Don't put any iron or manganese in their salt?

Your tank water may be depleted or super low on iron/manganese. Thus, it's not being metabolized in the lines.

Just throwing this out there. If TM can't find the problem, what do they fix? If you literally can not find the problem with a car, do you just "fix it period?"

FWIW, I've never seen a single salt keep things perfectly clean long term. This includes ESV which is even cleaner than TM Pro.

I've been using TMP for about 2 years. Four empty 200 gallon buckets that was great salt zero complaints. My last bucket mixed dirty (like everyone is complaining about) I was concerned about it hurting the tank. I called Tropic Martin and they ensured me it's completely safe. About 4 months on this bucket and my tank was starting to crash. I lost SPS, tons of euphyilla, blastos, favia, and more. I was going crazy doing everything I could think of. A last resort I stopped by Petco on my way home from work grabbed a bag of IO made a water change in the same mixing station I've been using. Water change the next day and within 24 hours my tank looked better then it had in a month! Also my mixing station was cleaner with IO then TPM! The rest of that bucket went right in the garbage and I'm trying to sell my other two new sealed buckets. I'll never touch the stuff again.

So, you know the salt is a problem and your answer it to sell it to some other hobbyist?

Beck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, you know the salt is a problem and your answer it to sell it to some other hobbyist?
[/QUOTE]

I 100% know the bucket I was using was the problem. The remaining salt went right in the garbage. The other two buckets (I purchased on a different order different store) I am trying to sell. All TMP salt can't be bad.

Beck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the guys who have done a water change with a different salt and suddenly noticed a difference, I think it will be helpful to tell us your tank size and the volume of water change that effected these change for the better. I don't know if a 10% water change for instance will dilute whatever is in the remaining 90% to start showing an improvement.

I am in a dilemma myself and don't know what my next step is, so I am following along.
Mine is 100 gallons and I did a 20 gallon water change and it was enough that I could see some change.

Slicktop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went back through this thread and noticed that Hans and Lou have not responed since Jan 12th to this thread. Do you guys have any updates on this issue?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus
@Hans-Werner
i was thinking the same...also noticed more chatter on facebook lately about this issue
Not sure if you know but there is a second thread on this and there was a response on that one. Here is the link for you to read.

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So a friend of mine who has been in the hobby for 20 years just sent me these pictures after using Pro salt from Turkey. He has a large system and goes through a bunch of salt. Has been using TM for years and this is the first time getting Turkish made salt. He’s mainly LPS and has noticed a lot of irritation with his torches and acans not fully opening. The salt had a very strong sweet smell and produced a lot of brown sludge.

E39AEAF2-FE76-400C-BC08-9ABA0A3CF520.jpeg
9A0CBCFC-FBFE-4B60-B736-57A1C0F46E2D.jpeg
89CC54AF-8C76-4C03-8F20-90AE42AACABE.jpeg
0264C6E9-94DF-4A30-9E1A-3672A31D59BC.jpeg
CF2D17FC-1BBA-4689-A23C-E6254924DA11.jpeg

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 15% waterchange with tropic marin pro Sunday and green birdnest peeled overnight. I had a purple stylo start to peel after a waterchange 2 weeks ago. This morning was the last straw and I ordered some red sea blue bucket and will be here Friday. Alot of money down the drain. I seen this taking place weeks ago and thought I had some heavy metals.. I ran metasorb for a week and ran poly filter. Issue stayed because I was doing more water changes thinking it was going to help get the heavy metals out the whole time I assume I was putting pollutants in. I also noticed lps not extended and lost a head on one during the last several weeks. Salt was purchased from brs in November.

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 15% waterchange with tropic marin pro Sunday and green birdnest peeled overnight. I had a purple stylo start to peel after a waterchange 2 weeks ago. This morning was the last straw and I ordered some red sea blue bucket and will be here Friday. Alot of money down the drain. I seen this taking place weeks ago and thought I had some heavy metals.. I ran metasorb for a week and ran poly filter. Issue stayed because I was doing more water changes thinking it was going to help get the heavy metals out the whole time I assume I was putting pollutants in. I also noticed lps not extended and lost a head on one during the last several weeks. Salt was purchased from brs in November.
Hope you are posting the batch numbers as requested.

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a friend of mine who has been in the hobby for 20 years just sent me these pictures after using Pro salt from Turkey. He has a large system and goes through a bunch of salt. Has been using TM for years and this is the first time getting Turkish made salt. He’s mainly LPS and has noticed a lot of irritation with his torches and acans not fully opening. The salt had a very strong sweet smell and produced a lot of brown sludge.

Can he post the batch numbers?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember way back in 1989 walking into The Balanced Aquarium in Arcata CA to buy some salt. I picked up some IO and the owner came over with what looked like a cereal box and said, "Here, this is the good stuff." It was the first time I'd ever seen Tropic Marin.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the first picture looks like there are detergents in it...

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't want this to come off the wrong way. I hope you all read this in the tone I intend to post it in...

While I appreciate getting as much information as possible from all of you on R2R, a post like this, in my opinion, is not all that "helpful". @poidog If you friend is having issues, then I encourage them, as I have done MANY times on this forum, to contact me directly. Once again, my email address is [email protected] and my direct phone number is 413-367-0101. But to post a pictures like this, with no specifics, that are not even yours, and target our brand, does NOTHING to help anyone. I can't defend the brand against these pictures, because there is no explanation of what the pictures are. Please have your friend contact me directly.

I apologize if this came of offensive in any way. It is NOT meant to be. We continue to do our best to diagnose the foundation of these comments.

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't want this to come off the wrong way. I hope you all read this in the tone I intend to post it in...

While I appreciate getting as much information as possible from all of you on R2R, a post like this, in my opinion, is not all that "helpful". @poidog If you friend is having issues, then I encourage them, as I have done MANY times on this forum, to contact me directly. Once again, my email address is [email protected] and my direct phone number is 413-367-0101. But to post a pictures like this, with no specifics, that are not even yours, and target our brand, does NOTHING to help anyone. I can't defend the brand against these pictures, because there is no explanation of what the pictures are. Please have your friend contact me directly.

I apologize if this came of offensive in any way. It is NOT meant to be. We continue to do our best to diagnose the foundation of these comments.
Lou, you didn't come off the wrong way at all, I understand your point. They did contact you and you told them the salt was fine. I'm just forwarding on the share as they are not on the forums.

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
the first picture looks like there are detergents in it...
Not sure if that was before or after washing his vat, but you can see the brown color of the water. The second picture is the towel rung out after wiping the brown sludge off the side of the mixing bucket.

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just adding my experience, I've used an entire bucket from Turkey (didn't think to keep at the time) and am 75% of the way through the second. No negatives and my mixing container looks clean as usual.
IMG_6834.jpg

Ya, I think there were isolated batches of bad product coming out of Turkey. Waiting on TM for their official findings.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back