Probably have a low pH issue

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The airstone, overnight, did not improve the pH with indoor air. The pump is now sitting in an open window so pulling outdoor air into the tank, and no change yet. Would this be a quick change, or a slow one? I had left the window open for 24 hrs a few days ago and saw no change, even with a fan sitting in front of it and blowing into the openings on my biocube.

It takes a few hours (6+) for my skimmer to make the change if I turn it off...

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everything I've read only talks about the issue with low pH and calcifying organisms. What about fish? My fish seem fine, even the two new ones that I added 3 weeks ago. If it's mainly an issue for corals, and I'm keeping my alkalinity around 9 and my calcium around 425, then I'm guessing (based on rereading Randy's article on low pH) that my tank may be fine fluctuating between 7.6 and 7.9 during the day.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a chart from Randy's article, with my current tank parameters marked.

1625589393878.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The airstone, overnight, did not improve the pH with indoor air. The pump is now sitting in an open window so pulling outdoor air into the tank, and no change yet. Would this be a quick change, or a slow one? I had left the window open for 24 hrs a few days ago and saw no change, even with a fan sitting in front of it and blowing into the openings on my biocube.

The airstone was not aerating enough, if aerating a cup of tank water with the same air did raise pH.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll try running my fuge 24 hrs for a few days and see if that helps (I think it's on about 11 hours right now, overnight). It won't help my tank temp, but I think I still have some leeway there,

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had pH from 7.8 to 8.0 in a basement in the hot times in Missouri. My acropora seemed to grow as fast as the other times when I could air out the house and the pH was 8.1 to 8.3, or so. I am not saying that this does not matter, but that I would not chase it... if there is a gram of difference over a time period, then who cares and many have done more damage with kalk and/or spent more money on scrubber and stuff than just living with it. In a biocube, don't wish for too fast of growth since breaking stuff apart can break your heart some.

My fish never seemed to care, but to your point, I have not seen any science on it. Had fish live 10+ years in that basement and a few that survived a move and are nearly as old as my teenage kids who are driving now.

Outside air line to the skimmer is cheap and easy. So is actually airing out a house... like for real with 100% air exchange and not one window cracked or open.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had pH from 7.8 to 8.0 in a basement in the hot times in Missouri. My acropora seemed to grow as fast as the other times when I could air out the house and the pH was 8.1 to 8.3, or so. I am not saying that this does not matter, but that I would not chase it... if there is a gram of difference over a time period, then who cares and many have done more damage with kalk and/or spent more money on scrubber and stuff than just living with it. In a biocube, don't wish for too fast of growth since breaking stuff apart can break your heart some.

My fish never seemed to care, but to your point, I have not seen any science on it. Had fish live 10+ years in that basement and a few that survived a move and are nearly as old as my teenage kids who are driving now.

Outside air line to the skimmer is cheap and easy. So is actually airing out a house... like for real with 100% air exchange and not one window cracked or open.
I’m definitely not making crazy changes but adding more aeration and opening a window sometimes are easy. I did an extra wc today too - my nitrates are high for some reason. Upon investigation, my fuge light may have been blocked by Coraline algae. It shines in through my back glass. So I cleaned that and set my fuge to always on, at least for now. Ph is higher now than it’s been all week (8.03). We’ll see if it stays up.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back