Probably have a low pH issue

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 2 years old and I’ve never had a pH problem (at least that I knew of). My pH would typically go between 7.95 and 8.2. I’ve had an Apex since last December and that’s what it’s been at, which mostly agreed with my Salifert manual test (maybe a touch lower than Salifert said but nothing concerning at all). I recalibrated my probe in February after getting a new master unit through warranty from Neptune and while it initially was low, over a few days it came back up to the same range and stayed there. Each week, I do my water testing and test pH and compare to the probe. Here are some recent measurements:

2/28: salifert 8.2, apex 8.08
3/21: salifert 8.2, apex 8.06
4/19: salifert 8.1, apex 7.99
5/2: salifert 8.35, apex 8.28
5/25: salifert 8.05 , apex 7.92
6/21: salifert 8.2, apex 8.06

last week, I finally updated to the latest AOS. About 2 hours later my probe went haywire. I was getting constant pH notifications. It was bouncing up and down repeatedly. I got something like 70 notifications over a few hours. So once I got home, I recalibrated. And ever since then, my Apex has said my pH is quite low. It now ranges from about 7.65 to at most 7.95 (but may not even hit 7.8 on some days).

I’ve recalibrated at least 6 times now and each time I do it seems to read lower. I’ve gotten a new BRS probe (on Friday my old probe went haywire again dropping and rising erratically- as low as 7.2). The probe is no longer in line with my manual tests. Just today, salifert said 8.05, API said 8.0, and Apex said 7.67. I’ve gone back and forth w Neptune but they think my tank is just low. I’m starting to agree with them because everything I try doesn’t change anything. When I do the calibration (with pouches floated in the tank), the probe mostly measures them correctly (though if I leave the probe in the pouch longer they tend to drift downward)

Things I’ve tried:
Purchased new calibration pouches: no change
Purchased new probe: no change
Made a borax solution to test: not perfect but within .1 of expectations and it’s not like I’ve got lab grade stuff to measure with to make the solution
Recalibrated endlessly…hasn’t helped and frequent have to do it multiple times
Tested
Tank water in a bowl instead of tank in case there was some kind of interference, no difference

So after all this, I’m starting to think perhaps my test kits were just off all this time as it seems my probe is “correct” now (though yesterday tank said 7.83, I put the probe in borax solution for test, then cleaned it and put back in tank and then tank read 7.7 even though at that time of day it should trend upwards not down). The typically concept is CO2. There is a window right behind the tank. I opened it last night and left it open all night. The tank was warm so the fan kicked on and ran all night (back of fan is right in front of window and it points in the back of the biocube). There was no change in pH at all. I figured if CO2 was the issue that would have raised it at least a bit.

I have a fuge that grows hood chaeto that is lit opposite my tank lights. I hadn’t been running a skimmer so I put one in for aeration but saw no change.

I’m currently aerating some tank water with indoor air to test and then I’ll do it again with outdoor air and see if there’s an improvement but since an open window did nothing, I’m not hopeful.

my alk is good and stays close to 9. I dose both alk (7 times daily) and cal (twice daily). My pH probe is in the return chamber with the dosers and pH spikes alk when I dose and then settles back down.

The tank looks ok too. I have one zoa colony that’s seemed a bit annoyed lately but most of my corals look excellent and seem to be growing (anyone need some mystic sunset monti? It’s a weed )

So, I’m guessing I have low pH and have been wrong all this time in thinking it was good. Does this make sense to any resident experts here? Wouldn’t my tank be pretty upset at those pH levels? I likely can’t really do anything about it with my biocube but am planning a new tank and perhaps I need to plan for a CO2 scrubber.

Here’s my tank from yesterday:
036C2906-BE3F-4797-8921-8AD767C1FB7B.jpeg

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indoor aeration test: pH went from 7.68 to 7.89. A small improvement. I’ll do the outdoor test next.

Try a co2 scrubber
probably a plan for the next tank (September hopefully- I’ve ordered it), but since this is a biocube, not sure I could actually do it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great! Your coral look healthy! IMO, just keep doing what you been doing.
Thanks! I may drop the air stone in the back somewhere and see what happens. If I can find a spot where it won’t fill the tank w bubbles lol.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hitting 8.2 once my algae reactor came on

Attachments

• C881817D-16E5-4321-878E-3319FFD9A61C.jpeg
    C881817D-16E5-4321-878E-3319FFD9A61C.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aeration test results:

start: 7.68
Indoor aeration for an hour: 7.89
Outdoor aeration for an hour (same sample from indoor moved outdoor): 8.02

it basically went up .2 with each aeration. So I’ll see if I can put my air stone in my fuge section (only place where I think I can put it without filling the tank w bubbles). If that brings it up so it stays above 7.8, I’ll be happy. I can’t really do an outside line (how do people actually do this??)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH probe is one of the most unreliable pieces of equipment in the hobby right there with Petco Test Kits. Your pH is likely fine. Just keep the alk stable and don't worry about the pH. If you really need to raise it, then open all of the windows frequently. I am not talking about a crack for an hour, but change out all of the air in your home on a weekly basis. This can do more than just help the fish tank... it can be good for you too if your home is constantly shut up. In warmer areas, do this at night... in colder areas, during the day. We are lucky to live on Colorado and have a 10k CFM whole house fan and my tanks and us humans really appreciate the fresh air for nearly all of the year (maybe a week in July when it gets really hot and a week in Jan when it gets below zero).

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aeration test results:

it basically went up .2 with each aeration. So I’ll see if I can put my air stone in my fuge section (only place where I think I can put it without filling the tank w bubbles). If that brings it up so it stays above 7.8, I’ll be happy. I can’t really do an outside line (how do people actually do this??)
Air stone just adds oxygen. Oxygen has very little to do with raising PH. You need to lower CO2 which causes carbonic acid.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH probe is one of the most unreliable pieces of equipment in the hobby right there with Petco Test Kits. Your pH is likely fine. Just keep the alk stable and don't worry about the pH. If you really need to raise it, then open all of the windows frequently. I am not talking about a crack for an hour, but change out all of the air in your home on a weekly basis. This can do more than just help the fish tank... it can be good for you too if your home is constantly shut up. In warmer areas, do this at night... in colder areas, during the day. We are lucky to live on Colorado and have a 10k CFM whole house fan and my tanks and us humans really appreciate the fresh air for nearly all of the year (maybe a week in July when it gets really hot and a week in Jan when it gets below zero).
That is just incorrect. That is why there is calibration solution. The little color shade test kits are trash but you can buy a 1 dollar calibration formula to verify the readings on your probe.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air stone just adds oxygen. Oxygen has very little to do with raising PH. You need to lower CO2 which causes carbonic acid.
Aeration with indoor air in my test raised it about .2. Since I cannot do a co2 scrubber and already do a fuge, this is all I’ve got to try. If it brings up up .2 across the board that would be a win. I’m kind of doubtful it will, but no harm in trying

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an good .2 pH increase with the outdoor airline to my skimmer. Some other threads where people didn't get an increase with the outdoor airline was resolved with a skimmer which had more air intake.

Basically you want your gas exchange to be coming from outside so the gas being mixed into the tank is lower in co2 then the indoor air.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw that pic was where it was incorrectly installed removed air silencer and thanked the port on the scrubber.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to think the same thing three decades ago. Do me a favor and when you figure out that if you have to test your test equipment to trust it then it is not reliable, post back and let everybody else know. pH probes drift and are unreliable... even the "lab grade" ones for the hobby are trash. You can get a true lab grade one - they were like 1000-1200 the last time that I looked before I figured out that I would never take any action with a reading from a pH probe, so why even have one. ...and I run a CaRx on every tank that I have. I do have a handheld pH pen for the few times that I need to know something like the water on some new livestock or to acclimate a very tricky species like a Gig or Mag 'nem.

I wrote a "controller" once with a Mac Mini and some USB probes and outlets. Used 2 out of 3 algorithm with pH probes and even two days after calibration one would read 8.21 one at 8.09 and one at 8.14, or something. How do you do anything with that? Not that I could ever get 3 of them in a CaRx, but in a container with effluent, they would sometimes range from 6.5 to 6.9 even a few days after calibration.

Seriously, don't worry about pH. Keep your ambient air fresh and keep the alk stable. That is enough. Save yourself the time and money. I am just trying to help, so if you don't want it and you have to learn for yourself, then I will bow out.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, other than CO2, what could cause low pH? Added an airstone to the tank, and if anything, pH is lower (at least definitely not higher). Apex read 7.62 and API test said 7.95ish and Salifert said 8.0ish. So for the last hour or so, I put the air pump for the airstone in an open window. No change at all (pH drifting lower as it typically does at this time of day, before my lights come on).

Again, I don't have the ability to add a CO2 scrubber to this tank to truly test it out. What else could be causing this? I saved my calibration fluid from yesterday (sealed container) and retested and the 7.0 was spot on, and the 10.0 was initially 10 and the longer it was in the fluid, the more it drifted down. After several minutes it was 9.97 and I took it out.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For our purposes PH is controlled by alkalinity and co2 concentration in the solution. Take a look at the thread in my signature for the Marine tables for co2/dkh to PH calculations; these tables are calculated using an application from NOAA.

It can take a bit for your whole tank to be impacted by improved gas exchange. Personally I never had any luck opening a window and only got a change by adding an outdoor airline to my skimmer.

If you just using an air-stone with indoor air I wouldn't expect to see any change as your using the same air that has been mixing with high co2 to begin with. You could as per your commet about lower PH be increasing the co2 concentration in the tank if its using air from indoors and not outdoors. Most homes today have co2 levels 2x+ outdoor levels.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aeration test results:

That means aeration alone with indoor will help (that's somewhat unusual and suggests poor aeration) and using outside or scrubber air will help even more.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That means aeration alone with indoor will help (that's somewhat unusual and suggests poor aeration) and using outside or scrubber air will help even more.
The airstone, overnight, did not improve the pH with indoor air. The pump is now sitting in an open window so pulling outdoor air into the tank, and no change yet. Would this be a quick change, or a slow one? I had left the window open for 24 hrs a few days ago and saw no change, even with a fan sitting in front of it and blowing into the openings on my biocube.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back