Problem with IceCap Battery Backup and Gyres

GMF21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up a new tank with a pair of Maxspect XF250 Gyres connected to a single Maxspect XF250 controller. Everything works fine with no issues.

When I connect an IceCap Battery Backup the problem arises. With everything plugged in and fully powered, only one of the power heads will work properly. The other one turns off within about 5 seconds and I cannot turn it back on. If I disconnect the backup battery, everything goes back to working as it should.

I have sent the battery to CoralVue and they mailed it back saying everything worked fine in their tests. They sent me a replacement controller, powerbrick for the controller, and pump motor in an attempt to solve the problem but to no avail. I sent CoralVue a video showing how everything was connected and demonstrating the issue. They had no idea what was causing the pump to shut off.

Now I am left with a $110 paper weight as the (non)resolution process with CoralVue took longer than the retailer I purchased it from will allow for returns

Any thoughts on how to solve the issue?

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine works quite well with my xf230 pair. It almost sounds like it's going into the backup mode.
I have both my pumps wired directly to the Maxspect controller.
The y-cable B1 goes to the battery backup OUTPUT 1 with B2 going to the Maxspect controller.
Y-cable A going to the Maxspect power supply.
The small power supply plugs into the INPUT on the battery for charging.

When I first installed it I thought the xf230's sucked. BUT it was me forgetting to turn on power for the Maxspect power supply to the controller and I was in backup mode. Mine did something like you describe. Pump B shutoff and pump A dropped to 30%.

I had an issue where my fuse and cap was missing on the battery and I had troubles.

I cannot speak any higher of these pumps/controller now.

Hopefully something here helps?

OP
OP
GMF21

GMF21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine works quite well with my xf230 pair. It almost sounds like it's going into the backup mode.
I have both my pumps wired directly to the Maxspect controller.
The y-cable B1 goes to the battery backup OUTPUT 1 with B2 going to the Maxspect controller.
Y-cable A going to the Maxspect power supply.
The small power supply plugs into the INPUT on the battery for charging.

When I first installed it I thought the xf230's sucked. BUT it was me forgetting to turn on power for the Maxspect power supply to the controller and I was in backup mode. Mine did something like you describe. Pump B shutoff and pump A dropped to 30%.

I had an issue where my fuse and cap was missing on the battery and I had troubles.

I cannot speak any higher of these pumps/controller now.

Hopefully something here helps?

Thanks for the info Schnizzle. My connections are correct and the power to the controller is on when and I still have the problem.

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try reversing the B legs of the y-cable. Something is going on to make it not sense power as soon as the battery is connected.

OP
OP
GMF21

GMF21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed that something doesn't make sense. I have switched the cables to no avail.

Not exactly sure where the power management is located but that seems to be the issue. Since i have tried a replacement controller and powerbrick for the controller not sure where else to turn.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed that something doesn't make sense. I have switched the cables to no avail.

Not exactly sure where the power management is located but that seems to be the issue. Since i have tried a replacement controller and powerbrick for the controller not sure where else to turn.
I know this is an old thread but did you ever figure out the issue? I have the same problem with the v3.0 connected to 2 xf350

Kobarg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with leepink23 having the same issue right now and the coralvue support has not been very helpful.

Kobarg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Support has been very helpful for me, they think it’s the controller and are sending me a new one. I will update if this fixes the problem
out of curiosity was the controller still under warranty? I am in the process to work with support now and see where it takes me.

OP
OP
GMF21

GMF21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but did you ever figure out the issue? I have the same problem with the v3.0 connected to 2 xf350
The problem was solved for me by using a different Y cable. Not exactly sure why it worked, but it was the only thing left to try.

Good luck.

Back