Problem with new torch corals!?

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening R2R,

I ordered my first torch corals online and received (3) total torches. I floated the bag for 15 minutes and then added a cup of water every 5 minutes over the next 15 minutes then did a 5 minute coral RX bath.

They were placed on my frag rack at the bottom of the tank Thursday, 01/06 @ 12:00 pm. Only (1) has partially opened and I’m wondering if I received bad frags or if it takes longer from online orders?

I’ve attached a photo and below are my parameters. If anyone has any ideas let me know please!

Salinity - 1.025
Alk - 9.47
Cal - 450
Mag - 1440
Phosphate - .05
Nitrate - 18 ppm

70FC25FA-6313-467C-817D-7514B44DFF0F.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mag is quite high (1300 range)

One of the biggest problems I have seen beginner hobbyists have is failing to account for the calcium demand for these corals. If there is insufficient calcium in your aquarium water, these corals will not be able to make their coral skeleton. You should also never lift a torch coral out of the water if you can avoid it. You could tear the polyps, and torn polyps are prone to infection followed by necrosis
Torch require typical parameters including:
Temperature around 78 degrees, a specific gravity of about 1.025, ph of about 8.2, and a calcium level of about 400 ppm.
Like most large polyp stony corals, a torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
The torch coral is a photosynthetic coral, meaning it has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral. Therefore, it is possible to keep the Torch coral without any feeding at all. However, all corals are animals, and animals are meant to eat.
The best placement for a torch coral is in a location that gets moderate water flow and moderate-intensity lighting.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So based off my original post, you think my Magnesium is to high? I’ve never heard of that being an issue for torches.

Also, calcium sitting @ 450 shouldn’t be an issue either as it’s stable since I have a trident with a dos holding it near that level. I also manually check once ever 3 weeks to ensure they are running accurate.

The torches are in medium to low flow and away from successful hammer corals I purchased from a LFS.

So to be frank, I don’t think you have helped me at all with any of your information provided.

I still appreciate the reply though.

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the bags feel cold when you got the torches in? Torches are one coral that aren’t the greatest shippers and can take a while to open after. I’d think after a day though they should be more open than that. Any visible damage to polyps or skeleton? Do they have a decent amount of flesh on them or just a small layer and polyps? Your parameters seem fine.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe only the mag comment above was specific to your post. The rest is copy/pasted from here:

I think the mag level is fine. Some white light photos would be helpful. The middle one looks concerning. I've received torches fully extended in the bag after being shipped overnight fwiw.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the bags feel cold when you got the torches in? Torches are one coral that aren’t the greatest shippers and can take a while to open after. I’d think after a day though they should be more open than that. Any visible damage to polyps or skeleton? Do they have a decent amount of flesh on them or just a small layer and polyps? Your parameters seem fine.
The bag seemed to be at a good temperature and I felt the heated packs around them. The flesh around them was actually healthy looking and that’s why I’m so confused.

I guess I could have them in to low or light potentially? That’s the only thing I can think that makes any sense.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe only the mag comment above was specific to your post. The rest is copy/pasted from here:

I think the mag level is fine. Some white light photos would be helpful. The middle one looks concerning. I've received torches fully extended in the bag after being shipped overnight fwiw.
Well no one likes a copy and paste you know! Lol, I’m only kidding of course.

I appreciate the reply and the middle one came in without a Frag plug unfortunately so I had to glue it myself to a plug which I performed underwater today.

hoping somehow these things turn around by tomorrow since I dropped $300.00 for the litter!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm a bit conflicted better. Torches are notoriously bad shippers. With that said, I would expect them to be far more extended than they are after this amount of time.

How are they packaged? Were they held away from everything? Were they rolling around in a cup?

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm a bit conflicted better. Torches are notoriously bad shippers. With that said, I would expect them to be far more extended than they are after this amount of time.

How are they packaged? Were they held away from everything? Were they rolling around in a cup?
All (3) torches were in individual bags. The one in the center photo didn’t have a Frag plug as I mentioned above.

Didn’t look like they rolled around and the heat packs were still warm and it was next day air shipping so who knows!?

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on your mag level being fine. Have seen tanks at 1500 mag and corals very happy. I am of the opinion that Torches do better in higher flow. Take this with a grain of salt, as I am no expert, but hoping things work out for you.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All (3) torches were in individual bags. The one in the center photo didn’t have a Frag plug as I mentioned above.

Didn’t look like they rolled around and the heat packs were still warm and it was next day air shipping so who knows!?
Torches should be shipped glued to or attached to foam in an oversized bag. They shouldn't lay the flesh on the bag even.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches should be shipped glued to or attached to foam in an oversized bag. They shouldn't lay the flesh on the bag even.
Yep, they were not in that type of position. I hope they can recover and pull through as my parameters are good but I wish I would have taken a photo of how they were received.

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that torches are typically not good shippers. Your parameters look good. Don’t disturb them and give them another day. I think messing with them in any way at this point will only set you back. Good luck.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve attached some photos in white. The one on the left looks the best of the group. The one on the right looks slightly better today than yesterday.

I’m most worried about the middle one and wondering if I should just cut my losses and toss it to prevent it from becoming diseased and spreading?

Thoughts!?

Attachments

• 04A27D71-D193-4CA9-A42E-5BC6DAE5ACBB.jpeg
    04A27D71-D193-4CA9-A42E-5BC6DAE5ACBB.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 122
  • E2A2CB2C-798B-4369-B308-0C7D0406BF78.jpeg
    E2A2CB2C-798B-4369-B308-0C7D0406BF78.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 107

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those don't look very healthy to me. They all look like they have been receding for awhile, as evidenced by the lack of healthy flesh on outside of the skeleton.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those don't look very healthy to me. They all look like they have been receding for awhile, as evidenced by the lack of healthy flesh on outside of the skeleton.
Do you think it’s possible for them to excel in my tank since I have good quality water and lighting?

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it’s possible for them to excel in my tank since I have good

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on the second one. It looks like recent recession where the skeleton is so white. The other two look like they have receded but it’s not recent because algea has grown on the outside of the skeleton. They don’t look like they’re on deaths door or anything but they don’t look on top shape

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it’s possible for them to excel in my tank since I have good quality water and lighting?
I mean you can bring them back. LPS can regenerate from basically nothing. My candy canes had burrowing worms ans 0 tissue outside the heads when I got them. Also my torch grew a ton of new tissue in about a month after I got it.

Edit: they look like Aussie torches to me too. Which is what mine is. They seem to be a lot hardier than the indo ones. Also added better torch shot

EF19CE9E-9C0D-4F7B-9FF5-5696A0F3F932.jpeg image.jpg 39ABFAB5-4E1F-4688-8A8B-2BC93DB942E9.jpeg

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P
I mean you can bring them back. LPS can regenerate from basically nothing. My candy canes had burrowing worms ans 0 tissue outside the heads when I got them. Also my torch grew a ton of new tissue in about a month after I got it.

Edit: they look like Aussie torches to me too. Which is what mine is. They seem to be a lot hardier than the indo ones. Also added better torch shot

EF19CE9E-9C0D-4F7B-9FF5-5696A0F3F932.jpeg image.jpg 39ABFAB5-4E1F-4688-8A8B-2BC93DB942E9.jpeg
beautiful corals and promising information. Hoping they can recover!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back