Problems using Apex DOS for manual water changes

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just bought a brand new neptune DOS to add to my apex system so use exclusively for doing water changes. Right now Im setting it up to do manual water changes that would be activated by using a feed mode button.

I did all of this using the wizard provided for this via the Tasks menu. I go through the entire wizard without any problems, select and feed cycle and boom im supposed to be done.

When I hit the feed mode button to initiate a water change, nothing happens, other than I see a 45 second countdown pop up by the feed mode buttons on fusion. None of the DOS pumps activate.

Ive done retired this a few times now, with different feed mode buttons and I get the same result. Periodically my New Salt Water Pump on the DOS will kick on and run, dumping new saltwater in my sump. The Old Salt water pump does not run at all. Ive been under the impression that these pumps are supposed to run simultaneously.

So for now Ive turned both pumps to off on fusion instead of auto because I dont need saltwater intermittently getting dumped in my tank.

So whats going on? Is this a common problem? Please help, Im frustrated.

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting - I had the same problem when I tried to set up manual changes. I had assumed it was something I was doing wrong (still could be the case). That said, the automatic changes set up with the wizard work great.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had that same problem with mine, until i figured out it was the time i had it scheduled to run. Make sure you check the time its scheduled to run. By default its scheduled to run at midnight if im not mistaken.

bhallo0217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having issues too. It works great for small auto water changes but for manual changes I have an issue. It seems that I'm always taking out more than is being put in. When I get up in the morning my tank is taking on air because my sump is low since the DOS isn't putting as much water back in. I've changed heads, recalibrate several times and no luck. Any ideas or solutions?

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very worrying. I was under the impression I could do manual water changes with the DOS, so I just bought one on Black Friday. @SuncrestReef, is this a problem you've come across before or helped anyone with?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very worrying. I was under the impression I could do manual water changes with the DOS, so I just bought one on Black Friday. @SuncrestReef, is this a problem you've come across before or helped anyone with?
The Manual Water Change feature can work perfectly fine. In every situation where I've helped someone troubleshoot it, the problem has always been due to user error. They either changed some settings on the DOS schedule, didn't have all the needed sliders set to AUTO, had air leaks in their tubing, etc. But never have I had to troubleshoot a MWC setup when the tasks was run and then left alone with no modifications. I'm not saying everyone above who posted messed something up, but I've never personally seen it not work when it's set up as shown below:

Here are things to check:

1. After running the MWC task, it will create two new virtual outputs:
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 10.00.15 AM.png
These outputs are responsible for monitoring the Feed button, then keeping track of the time to run the DOS for the next 24 hours. If these outputs are not set to AUTO, then the water change won't work.

2. The DOS output sliders also need to be set to AUTO:
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 10.05.45 AM.png
If these outputs are not set to AUTO, then the water change won't work.

3. Both DOS schedules (one to add, one to remove) must specify the same schedule and the same volume of water:
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 10.02.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 10.02.37 AM.png

4. The MWC task will add this code to the Advanced tab on the DOS schedule:
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 10.03.16 AM.png
This is the programming that only permits the DOS to run while the virtual output timer (mentioned in item #1 above) is active. You should not have any other programming listed here unless you really know what you're doing.

5. Prior to running the water change, you should calibrate both DOS heads to ensure they are pumping equally. But here's where it can be challenging due to the way Neptune instructs you to connect the DOS tubing, as explained in my post here: https://www.reef2reef.com/posts/7783633/

6. Lastly, be aware that the DOS is not a continuous-duty pump. It needs to stop periodically to allow the motors to cool down. This means that your DOS will run for a few minutes, then it will stop for several minutes, before starting up again and repeating this process over the next 24 hours.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back