Project Apex (Black Edition) by Elder1945

Discussion in 'Aquarium Controllers' started by Elder1945, Jun 15, 2017.

1. laverda

laverda Well-Known Member SCMAS Member

There are lots of WiFi bridges available for under $20.00 these days. They are small and look nicer then anything new from Neptune.

Elder1945 likes this.

2. Elder1945

Elder1945 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Now that I have a GHL I can no longer look at Apex the same... I was a huge fanboy making some elaborate mounting boards and more for my personal tank.. I think (Apex) as a product is "good" not "Great" anymore.. Does it work? absolutely! Does it have a crazy amount of capability? Yes! BUT... After using GHL Apex has lost its "Cutting edge" "Number one" "The best ever"... It just does not hold up as well as some of the options out there.

Overall the Apex is a great option for your tank, Do I think it was worth the over $10,000 I have dumped into the ecosystem though? nope.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  3. Ramasule

Ramasule Well-Known Member

Only reason I am going to be stickign with the pex is because of that new trident controller.

4. Txdragonslayer

Txdragonslayer Well-Known Member

yes but they dont make my classic apex compatible with the new power bars, Apex deliberately decided to not make it backward compatible.

5. Txdragonslayer

Well i appreciate your honest words, and i remember your "fan boy" tank for apex. I think you took me off the fence with GHL, and will go that rout for my controller upgrade.

Thanks!

tj w and Clayton Jessup like this.
  6. Txdragonslayer

the trident controller is another reason why i am leaving apex. It is another odd shape that cannot be easily accommodated in tight quarters. It will more than likely be cheaper than GHL's Kh director, but i would rather deal with a better-looking product than a cheaper one. My other frustration is with the battery back up of the WAV pumps, or the lack thereof. A shame they didn't think to have a batt back up for pumps on their controller.

Clayton Jessup likes this.
  7. emvanburen

emvanburen Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, besides the form factor, what do you find functionally better in GHL than the new Apex? I’m literally struggling to come up with more things to do with my Apex. Is it software / interface or features?

8. Txdragonslayer

That's a good question.

9. Ramasule

Ramasule Well-Known Member

If it does what they say it will do, at the price they say it will, as reliable as they say it will, it could look like *** for all I care, it's getting stuffed in a drawer.

Txdragonslayer and clp like this.
  10. LbulletM

LbulletM Well-Known Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

Off topic (I guess??), but I picked up a Vive finally after playing on my friend's. NEED that storage board. Amazing.

Elder1945 likes this.
  11. Elder1945

Elder1945 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I am waiting for fallout 4 :) the stand helps alot!

LbulletM likes this.
  12. sunnyc90

sunnyc90 Well-Known Member

Just catching up with the thread and gotta say, its pretty epic case you built there for the controller.

13. LbulletM

LbulletM Well-Known Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

Have you gotten the DAS? WORTH. IT.

Draft saved Draft deleted