Proper cleaning procedure for AP9X

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get advice on the best way to clean the various parts of the AP9X units. Right now I am using a Swiffer duster on the top, a microfiber cloth (slightly damp) for the shell, and a lens cloth designed for 35mm cameras on the LED covers.

Can I use air to blow dust out of the fan ports?

Thanks in advance!

Parrottbay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure as they're so new. If imagine just like you were cleaning the older models?

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get advice on the best way to clean the various parts of the AP9X units. Right now I am using a Swiffer duster on the top, a microfiber cloth (slightly damp) for the shell, and a lens cloth designed for 35mm cameras on the LED covers.

Can I use air to blow dust out of the fan ports?

Thanks in advance!
Yes - compressed air is always good. Do all of this while the lamp is powered off and unplugged, just to be safe.

If you notice some heavy buildup that won't come off with compressed air, a cotton swab or q-tip and some rubbing alcohol can be used. Just be sure to let the light completely dry before powering back on.

Once the light is outside of warranty, we designed it so it can also be opened up to deep clean as well. Don't do this yet - as the AP9X units are all still in warranty. Once lamps start to exceed their warranty period, we'll share the proper deep cleaning instructions.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too use a microfiber cloth (like for cleaning sun glasses) on the lens and mirrored reflector. If I see salt on either of them, I recommend a little water on the cloth as the mirrored reflector is easily scratched (even with salt).

For the top, I use a cotton T-shirt. I have not needed to clean the cooling fins, but compressed air was going to be my approach. If that did not work, well, then I am willing to remove the screws, open the case and use an artists paint brush.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - compressed air is always good. Do all of this while the lamp is powered off and unplugged, just to be safe.

If you notice some heavy buildup that won't come off with compressed air, a cotton swab or q-tip and some rubbing alcohol can be used. Just be sure to let the light completely dry before powering back on.

Once the light is outside of warranty, we designed it so it can also be opened up to deep clean as well. Don't do this yet - as the AP9X units are all still in warranty. Once lamps start to exceed their warranty period, we'll share the proper deep cleaning instructions.
I understand the bean counters like this warranty explanation, but routine deep cleaning even in warranty should be allowed to maximize the lifespan of the unit.

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I understand the bean counters like this warranty explanation, but routine deep cleaning even in warranty should be allowed to maximize the lifespan of the unit.
I agree with this statement, if we’re are not allowed to open the unit up to clean the inside ( as we should be doing every 6 months) then maybe the warranty should be double what it is now? Or allow us to clean the inside so our lights will last as long as possible, I purchased 2 Ap9x and they are not cheap I would like them to last as long as possible ( preferably 10 years) I know 10 years is pushing it but with a proper care routine they could at least last 5 years easy

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back