Proper flow for a torch coral

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 32 Led and just got this torch Thursday. It looked a little stumpy in the store and has opened fully (that im aware of, since I've had it home). Is my torch getting proper flow here? I don't have a powerhead so I have my output nozzle pointed at the surface to create random flow in the tank itself. Its sitting int he front right corner of the tank so its getting somewhat random flow from the return pump. Photos and videos attached. In the video in white light it had started closing because my lights had shifted to blue and I turned them, back on to take the video. tempImagedj2Vg6.png

Attachments

• IMG_1668.MOV
    7.9 MB
  • IMG_1672.MOV
    7.8 MB
  • IMG_1673.MOV
    6.1 MB
  • IMG_1677.MOV
    1.9 MB

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like the flow could be a bit stronger.

The skeleton looks really white. Which indicates recent flesh recession. This happens sometimes due to importing and tanks transferring too early in between transfers amd not letting the coral catch its breath.

Good news is with good husbandry you can help it recover.

Keep all parameters as stable as possible and you will give it a chance to grow back.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The skeleton looks really white. Which indicates recent flesh recession. This happens sometimes due to importing and tanks transferring too early in between transfers amd not letting the coral catch its breath.

Keep all parameters as stable as possible and you will give it a chance to grow back.
Not sure how long it had been at the LFS where I purchased it. They had it at least three weeks before I was able to pick it up. It hasn't receded any since I got it. I can see what you are talking about though. I have other LPS that are literally growing so fast they can't grow skeleton quick enough and their tissue is growing on rocks lol. So hopefully this little torch can take off and do better now that its in my tank. Its done really, well so far. It shows full extension and it eats good when I feed mysis.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Having a closer look at it it’s actually super white tissue on the Skelton that comes down from the heads about an inch. Is that normal? The tissue around the heads below the tentacles is roughly the same color as my small hammers tissues.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow should be good enough as is. They seem to do fine as long as their tentacles are blowing around and not stagnant. Once it adjusts to the new tank you can turn the flow up a bit if you want

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If video won't play use the 3 dots on the left to download. Don't mind the lady in the back all closed up she was pooping ;Hilarious

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back