Proper ID Please

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought this coral from my LFS, and they told me it was called pagoda. So I did some quick background on pagoda (I had looked into it before, just a long time ago and needed a refresher) and decided to get it. Problem is I didn't think to Google pictures before buying it, and it doesn't really look like pictures of pagoda to me. Sorry in advance for any poor picture quality.

IMG_20201203_152503685.jpg IMG_20201203_152456898_MP.jpg IMG_20201203_152506135.jpg IMG_20201203_152459334.jpg

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Galaxea. If it is indeed a Galaxea keep it away from other corals as It has a strong sting
Yeah I think it definitely could be. Little hard to tell because it's such a small frag but the guy did say it was either a euphylia or related to euphylias. Maybe just got the names flipped around. I have a couple hammers and a frogspawn all right by eachother and wouldn't mind continuing the euphylia garden. Would it be safe to put it close to them once it's bigger? I know they are supposed to be resistant to stings from members of the same family.

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think it definitely could be. Little hard to tell because it's such a small frag but the guy did say it was either a euphylia or related to euphylias. Maybe just got the names flipped around. I have a couple hammers and a frogspawn all right by eachother and wouldn't mind continuing the euphylia garden. Would it be safe to put it close to them once it's bigger? I know they are supposed to be resistant to stings from members of the same family.
No it's not part of the euphyllia family, it's part of the Euphylliidae (edit: I mean they are related but they are different branches). It's a different species and is very aggressive so if you put the galaxea with your hammers and frogspawns, the galaxea would more than likely win the battle.

Last edited:

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Galaxea is death to most corals if that’s what it is man. It’s got a super strong sting. Keep it away from basically anything else.

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Galaxea is death to most corals if that’s what it is man. It’s got a super strong sting. Keep it away from basically anything else.
Funny enough, I just saw it's sweeper tentacles out a few minutes before getting this notification. All other corals are a couple inches out of it's reach or more, but there's a feather duster worm right next to it. The galaxea seems to like it's spot, and the worm has been there since I set up the tank and done really well there. Do I need to move one or can the worm handle it?

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny enough, I just saw it's sweeper tentacles out a few minutes before getting this notification. All other corals are a couple inches out of it's reach or more, but there's a feather duster worm right next to it. The galaxea seems to like it's spot, and the worm has been there since I set up the tank and done really well there. Do I need to move one or can the worm handle it?
Man I never had galaxea but I don’t trust that stuff near literaly anything. My LFS keeps them feet away from any other coral in the frag rack. And feather dusters arent known for their defensive capabilities.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back