Protein Skimmer Pump Replacement

Flavocoronatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am getting back into the hobby and have an older ATI Powercone 200is protein skimmer that I would like to use however it needs a new pump. The expected total system volume is ~100-140 gal.

I was looking at the Sicce PSK SDC series of pumps for a potential replacement though I am not sure which model would be most appropriate.
  • Would the PSK SDC 2600 (130-700 gph / 500-2600 Lph airflow) be suitable?
  • Given the cost of these pumps and the fact that my smaller total system volume this time (~100-140 gal), am I better off shopping for a (smaller) new skimmer?
Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always gone by the old adage that a skimmer is good for half of what they're rated for.
So in your case 200-280 would suffice.
I've never even heard of that skimmer before so you'll really just have to give yourself a budget and see if a new pump is worth the cost or not.
If it ran awesome, replace the pump.
There's a lot of great skimmers out there,most just plug and play so check those out with your budget and see.

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the spec sheet Im able to find, the skimmer was rated at 3000+LPH of air. The PSK2600 you plan on using has a max of 2600LPH which is just slightly under what it was originally rated for so it could be a good fit for the skimmer. Depending on the bioload and water level in your sump Im sure it would be fine

OP
OP
F

Flavocoronatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never even heard of that skimmer before so you'll really just have to give yourself a budget and see if a new pump is worth the cost or not.
If it ran awesome, replace the pump.
That is the tricky part. It ran well enough and the DC pump made adjustments easy. One of the main downsides was the large footprint.

I am open to any suggestions regarding skimmers that consistently perform well to serve as a starting point.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d look on Facebook, Craigslist, or eBay and see if you can pick up a used LifeReef Skimmer or buy one from LifeReef if Budget Permits. Five Minutes every week or two cleaning the Cup, and that’s it. I had to raise mine up in a non-LifeReef Sump, used a ReefArt Stand. Run mine with a Simplicity 1000 Pump, set at about half flow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back