Protein Skimmer Stand

Americus

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 20, 2025
Messages
14
Reaction score
12
Location
Mikwaukee
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox 50.3 and just purchased an AquaReady WS-1. I knew I would likely need a stand for the protein skimmer and when I measured the depth of that compartment it is like 13.5in and the recommended height is 8-10”. I know egg crate is a common stand, but at 0.375”, I would need to stack like 14 pieces. Am I missing something obvious over here, wouldn’t be the first time. I could have a friend 3D print a custom stand but trying to find alternative options.
 
I have a Waterbox 50.3 and just purchased an AquaReady WS-1. I knew I would likely need a stand for the protein skimmer and when I measured the depth of that compartment it is like 13.5in and the recommended height is 8-10”. I know egg crate is a common stand, but at 0.375”, I would need to stack like 14 pieces. Am I missing something obvious over here, wouldn’t be the first time. I could have a friend 3D print a custom stand but trying to find alternative options.
You make a five sided box out of egg crate sheet; a few zip ties along the adjoining corners of each sheet, and you have a fairly rigid stand of your desired height which lets water pass through it freely!
 
You make a five sided box out of egg crate sheet; a few zip ties along the adjoining corners of each sheet, and you have a fairly rigid stand of your desired height which lets water pass through it freely!
Oh my god. This is what I was overlooking! I’m an idiot 🤣🤣. Your name is too ironic to answer questions by the way. 😊
 
I used pvc to make legs. If you cut a ' + ' in one end about 3/8 deep, the egg crate slots right in. Drill a through hole and zip tie it on. Easy breezey. Or you can make a frame w three way 90s and zip it to that, if you do that, just drill out the top a bit so you can burp it or it will float.
 
I used pvc to make legs. If you cut a ' + ' in one end about 3/8 deep, the egg crate slots right in. Drill a through hole and zip tie it on. Easy breezey. Or you can make a frame w three way 90s and zip it to that, if you do that, just drill out the top a bit so you can burp it or it will float.
I like this even better. Easy peasy.
 
IMG_4508.jpeg
I like this even better. Easy peasy.
Just to follow up and hopefully someone can learn from “boneheadedness”. Simple stand and a little CA glue to hold it together. “She’s a beaut Clark!” Thanks for the help everyone!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new