Protein Skimmer vs Refugium for my nano

BurgerLocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I’ve got a new Waterbox Marine X 35.1 aquarium that I’ve had set up for <1 month thus far. I have a few soft corals and two RBTA which are all doing well, and two clownfish. My plan for this aquarium is to do an SPS dominant reef with a few zoanthids and mushrooms. Currently in my sump, I’ve got the skimmer/refugium section filled with established live rock from my previous aquarium.

I use RedSea Coral Pro salt mixed at 1.026 SG and do a 5gal water change weekly on a system with ~21gal of actual water volume. NO3 is ~12ppm which is right where I like it, and my PO4 is 0.04ppm which is on the low side for me.

My question is: Because I can only run one, should I run a protein skimmer in my sump, or a refugium? I know both have a positive effect on pH and will increase it, which is good, but which will benefit my system most? I plan to continue weekly water changes and testing, and might push that to two weeks when I start dosing down the road. I’m leaning more towards a skimmer, due to its ability to oxygenate the water.

What should I do?
Also, if I skim, what skimmer should I buy? I was thinking about the Bubble Magus Curve 3.5. Thoughts?

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience running a refigium only, but I have experience running a skimmer only and carbon dosing. It works

OP
OP
B

BurgerLocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some experience with running just a skimmer in a larger aquarium but I’ve never carbon dosed. Would I need to?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into Tropic Marine All in One for your tank, I would also watch the videos of Tropic Maine products.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back