Prove me wrong

Are hitchhikers and the issues they potentially cause the most overblown "problem" in the hobby?

• Yes

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Not the most overblown but close

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Hitchikers are the devil

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean let's be honest here. If you start a thread with "prove mean wrong" then make a statement you know fully many will not agree with, You have to know it's going to turn into an argument..

I knew where it would go without even opening the thread yet.

Come back and tell me how you feel when you have been in the hobby for more than 5 minutes lol. I get so tired of relative noobs trying to teach us old dogs new tricks. If you want to keep on looking for a "argument" then PM me to keep up the debate. Otherwise let's just move on. I mean we all get it. You don't agree with anything I have to say. Cool.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But GIF by memecandy

No Way Smh GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come back and tell me how you feel when you have been in the hobby for more than 5 minutes lol. I get so tired of relative noobs trying to teach us old dogs new tricks. If you want to keep on looking for a "argument" then PM me to keep up the debate. Otherwise let's just move on. I mean we all get it. You don't agree with anything I have to say. Cool.
Cartoon Yes GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aaaaand time to step out of this thread. I'm not worthy.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I might step out too if this is going to turn into “noobs no nothing so their input is irrelevant”.

yeah, we don’t have as much experience. But it could be we have input that would open new conversations worth having.

not saying that’s always the case but a blanket rejection eliminates any possibility

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is NSW?
When I was a kid in Florida, my friend and I would stretch a net between two poles that wrapped over the ends about three feet high, walk out into the water, turn toward shore and hop the points of the poles off the bottom as we walked to shore. When we made it all the way in, we’d lay it on the beach and go through the net.
We found live sand dollars, baby puffer fish, starfish, tons of different crabs and fish.
...good times.
thanks for clarifying.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean...you are the one that started the thread? You have to realize what it was going to do. Hitchhikers have been a problem for years, crazy amount of posts on the subject. Like saying Water change or not. Creates a huge arguement on both sides.

Here's the thing, you can't make a generalized statement like that and not expect to get an argument. Period. Now if you are talking about Hitchhiker critters, I would generally agree with your statement.

But I"ve been one of the lucky guys to receive brook as a hitchhiker. Lost half of my fish in 3 days flat, tank was going on 2 years old and zero issues. Was I upset, absolutely. I knew it was always a possibility and I didn't Qt. I knew the risks, so I moved on. Rolled the dice so to speak, but this wasn't my first tank, nor would it be my last.

BUT, you do that to a person thats been in the hobby less than a year and most likely you are going to see a for sale thread within a week and never hear from this person again. So in that regard I would say its not overblown whatsoever because I want to see this community of reefers thrive and grow, and posts like that break my heart cause they had that spark of love and it was crushed all because of a simple hitchhiker.

So please don't expect to not get an arguement and get upset over some people disagreeing with you good sir. If you are going to start a thread like that, don't start calling everyone noobs the second people disagree with what you are saying.

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aaaaand time to step out of this thread. I'm not worthy.
Think I might step out too if this is going to turn into “noobs no nothing so their input is irrelevant”.

yeah, we don’t have as much experience. But it could be we have input that would open new conversations worth having.

not saying that’s always the case but a blanket rejection eliminates any possibility
Ya. Honestly I shouldn't have taken it there. Life is too short to get worked up over a stupid forum disagreement. Sorry @Lost in the Sauce my bad for being a curmudgeon.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya. Honestly I shouldn't have taken it there. Life is too short to get worked up over a stupid forum disagreement. Sorry @Lost in the Sauce my bad for being a curmudgeon.

good on ya my guy. Our initial disagreement led to me rethinking things. now i am trying to figure our how i can get as much live rock as i can reasonably afford into my build. this is how we grow as a community

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, I hate the entire ‘prove me wrong’ premise, but yes, the paranoia about hitchhikers is overblown. I don’t think it’s the biggest overblown issue in the hobby, but it’s for sure overblown. I’d take some uncured live rock from the ocean over dry rock every time. In my current tank, I’m using 75% dry rock, and I hate it (it’s slowly getting better, but I’ve started probably 20 tanks during my time in the hobby, and I’m having a bunch of issues I’ve never had when I’ve used 100% live rock).

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, no worries. People are entitled to opinions. I've got some crazy ones. We can't create fact. I'm all for discussion, and honestly enjoy spirited discussion. When people get emotional rather than discuss, I bounce.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back