Public Aquarium Touch Tanks

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be more of a question for @Jay Hemdal and those involved in public aquaria, but I was thinking about those touch tanks some have, and wondering about some stuff.

One of the things I see mentioned a lot is to avoid sticking your hands in your tank except when necessary, and rinsing them before doing so. I’ve even taken to using nitrile gloves when I need to move or adjust anything. Then I thought about all the greasy little children who’ve been picking their butts and noses who then stick their hands in public touch tanks. Not to mention the folks who just got done eating a corn dog or fondling their bacterium-laden cellphones. The Florida Aquarium has one, for instance, and it holds a lot of reef critters that people can touch and hold.

So, how do they do it? I would imagine it’s plumbed into a larger system with UV sterilizers and carbon reactors, but it would be nice to know from those who really know.

Just some of the random crap I think of when I haven’t had my coffee yet.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As they say, “It’s complicated”. For Association of Zoo and Aquarium accredited facilities, there are standards that need to be maintained: backup power, life support, hand washing, constant supervision, resting times for the animals, etc. Non-AZA facilities may or may not follow these standards.
For our facility; huge UV, big filters, lots of water changes and visitors rinsing hands prior, and washing with soap after. Always under direction of paid, trained staff. Other criteria as well...and Covid has introduced additional criteria, limits on numbers, spacing, surface sanitation, etc.
For home aquariums; always wear gloves and never start siphons by mouth. I’m allergic to bristleworm spicules, so I need to wear gloves...
Jay

Last edited:
OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As they say, “It’s complicated”. For Association of Zoo and Aquarium accredited facilities, there are standards that need to be maintained: backup power, life support, hand washing, constant supervision, resting times for the animals, etc. Non-AZA facilities may or may not follow these standards.
For our facility; huge UV, big filters, lots of water changes and visitors rinsing hands prior, and washing with soap after. Always under direction of paid, trained staff. Other criteria as well...
For home aquariums; always wear gloves and never start siphons by mouth. I’m allergic to bristleworm spicules, so I need to wear gloves...
Jay
Thanks! It’s good to know that some/most facilities have standard practices like that for the welfare of the animals and health of the system. I’d imagine that Florida Aquarium is part of the AZA, but I don’t recall having to wash hands first. Plus, the stingray touch tank is right next to the commissary...

Googled my own answer there. They were only accredited as of 2019. The last time I visited was prior to that. I’ll have to go back some time and see how things have changed.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, same for GA Aquarium. Animals are routinely changed out from touch tanks. Most visitors are careful to wash their hands and we have a two finger touch rule which minimizes contact.

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, same for GA Aquarium. Animals are routinely changed out from touch tanks. Most visitors are careful to wash their hands and we have a two finger touch rule which minimizes contact.
I do remember that rule from my last visit to GA Aquarium in 2016. You folks have a fantastic facility. The backstage tour had me in awe, and was indirectly responsible for convincing me to finally pull the trigger on a reef tank at home.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It’s good to know that some/most facilities have standard practices like that for the welfare of the animals and health of the system. I’d imagine that Florida Aquarium is part of the AZA, but I don’t recall having to wash hands first. Plus, the stingray touch tank is right next to the commissary...

Googled my own answer there. They were only accredited as of 2019. The last time I visited was prior to that. I’ll have to go back some time and see how things have changed.
Drive up and see the new M gallon + shark exhibit and take a behind the scenes tour sometime

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drive up and see the new M gallon + shark exhibit and take a behind the scenes tour sometime
Yes! I was actually planning to revisit before the pandemic happened. I was thinking about coming back up to Atlanta with my girlfriend in January and taking her there. We’ll definitely do the tour again, as well.

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2180F1BD-474B-4E0D-BFD9-F5A8C1D0929A.jpeg

659B8A52-9E14-46C4-987E-94311DAFFAFD.jpeg

A couple of photos I took while I was there. Everyone should visit at least once in their lifetime. It’s a magnificent facility; world-class systems and a fantastic assortment of wildlife. I hope that view never gets old for you @Mikedawg.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That is some interesting random thought for sure!
"Then I thought about all the greasy little children who’ve been picking their butts and noses who then stick their hands in the public touch tanks."
I'm wondering if folks have ever thought about these same kids and their parents getting into the hotel hot tub with you' after everyone enjoyed a visit to the aquarium?

There are a whole lot of public vectors commonly used by people without too much thought about what the exposure is.

Can you still go swimming with the dolphins at some of these public attractions? I could barf through my snorkel just thinking about this one. There may be some positive public hygiene steps that result from our current pandemic exposure?

A Lysol dipping pool to pass through before entering the hot tub? :)

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2180F1BD-474B-4E0D-BFD9-F5A8C1D0929A.jpeg

659B8A52-9E14-46C4-987E-94311DAFFAFD.jpeg

A couple of photos I took while I was there. Everyone should visit at least once in their lifetime. It’s a magnificent facility; world-class systems and a fantastic assortment of wildlife. I hope that view never gets old for you @Mikedawg.
Always changing and several new exhibits since you last visited.; Tropical Diver where I volunteer has been redesigned and will (hopefully) mitigate Covid spread as will other safety measures, and, yes view never gets old as fish and corals are regularly added.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That is some interesting random thought for sure!
"Then I thought about all the greasy little children who’ve been picking their butts and noses who then stick their hands in the public touch tanks."
I'm wondering if folks have ever thought about these same kids and their parents getting into the hotel hot tub with you' after everyone enjoyed a visit to the aquarium?

There are a whole lot of public vectors commonly used by people without too much thought about what the exposure is.

Can you still go swimming with the dolphins at some of these public attractions? I could barf through my snorkel just thinking about this one. There may be some positive public hygiene steps that result from our current pandemic exposure?

A Lysol dipping pool to pass through before entering the hot tub? :)
Reminds me of the protocol going into a live cave. Kartchner caverns has a misting room you have to enter before the caves, limited guided tours and don't touch anything in the cave. if you do you must tell the staff so they can wash the area. After several tours or maybe every tour they hose down the entire area that people have walked. This is all to protect the continuing living cave processes.

Hair and dander are the devil.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both myself and a friend here both got pretty sick after working a temporary touch tank over a weekend. We are sure it was from one of the kids contaminating the tank.
The skimmer went crazy removing all the crud. I don't recall if it had a UV, but I don't think it did. I will have to check if we do it again.. There was a hand wash station, but we had our hands in the tank a lot over the course of two days.

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both myself and a friend here both got pretty sick after working a temporary touch tank over a weekend. We are sure it was from one of the kids contaminating the tank.
The skimmer went crazy removing all the crud. I don't recall if it had a UV, but I don't think it did. I will have to check if we do it again.. There was a hand wash station, but we had our hands in the tank a lot over the course of two days.
That’s the sort of thing I was wondering about! Yuck. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully, next time you won’t get sick.

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was so interesting! On a semi related question, how do public aquariums manage introduction of parasites and disease both for fish and corals? Or is the water volume so large that it’s not an issue? I mean, having velvet wipe out a tank is a real concern for us hobbyists, but how about public aquariums?

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was so interesting! On a semi related question, how do public aquariums manage introduction of parasites and disease both for fish and corals? Or is the water volume so large that it’s not an issue? I mean, having velvet wipe out a tank is a real concern for us hobbyists, but how about public aquariums?
I can answer that. They’re fastidious about quarantine procedures before introducing any new livestock. They also have massive UV sterilizers.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I work in a state trout hatchery. We try and not let diseases in either through not moving live fish from hatchery to hatchery, only getting eggs from other disease free sources and/or testing and quarantining suspect fish/eggs for a period of time. UV is used on one of our bigger hatcheries which uses lake water.

We also tell the visitors not to put their hands in the water;).

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, along with big UVs and other quality equipment, observing strict protocols for quarantining, controlling cross-contamination and testing; regularly cleaning and disinfecting just about everything; carefully sourcing new animals; etc., etc., with full support from large vet staff and full time dietician.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back