Puffer and Box Fish compatibility

Saltfishonly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been researching both for over a month now was going to choose between one,but I can’t and I can’t find anything specific about they’re compatibility...most likely we will be getting a yellow spotted puffer or a dog face (my husband really wants the dog face) I know they get a little big,trying to avoid getting it

As well the Boxfish undecided on what species still comparing they’re needs etc..might get black spotted I don’t really care for the cow or porcupine box fish

So do you have both In a tank? What ever species it is please share !

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? That will determine what ones will work. Both can live together, just make sure they are similar size

OP
OP
Saltfishonly

Saltfishonly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? That will determine what ones will work. Both can live together, just make sure they are similar size

It’s a 60 gal so far there’s just 2 clownfish and a Midas Blenny we are going to upgrade to a 100gal soon as we find one at a good deal

Yes that is my goal for them both to be small that’s why I don’t want a cow box or the dog face

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 60 gal so far there’s just 2 clownfish and a Midas Blenny we are going to upgrade to a 100gal soon as we find one at a good deal

Yes that is my goal for them both to be small that’s why I don’t want a cow box or the dog face

Puffers don't get "a little big," they get huge!! Even a 100 gallon isn't big enough for a puffer. My porcupine is in a 210.

OP
OP
Saltfishonly

Saltfishonly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puffers don't get "a little big," they get huge!! Even a 100 gallon isn't big enough for a puffer. My porcupine is in a 210.

Some puffers do stay small
She said dog face puffer, did you miss that?

Just because I mentioned it did not mean that is my intentions to go right this second and buy it..did you just read what you felt like reading?

My husband would like to get one,i know the max size my post is not about how big puffers get

My post is compatibility there is many different breeds I know that I do my research I’m not a compulsive buyer that wants 10 fish in a small tank I’m not stupid,my dad was in the hobby since the 80’s some of his knowledge grew on me a lot didn’t unfortunately he is not here for me to ask

Like I said post is on compatibility not size

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always heard bad stories of box fish nuking a tank so I never got one. That being said dogface are usually pretty docile but get too big full grown for the 60. I think they'll do fine together though.

I like the box and Valentini suggestion myself

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always heard bad stories of box fish nuking a tank so I never got one. That being said dogface are usually pretty docile but get too big full grown for the 60. They'll jack up your water quality.

Many boxfish don’
I've always heard bad stories of box fish nuking a tank so I never got one. That being said dogface are usually pretty docile but get too big full grown for the 60. They'll jack up your water quality.

many boxfish don’t secrete the poison either. Some yes, can nuke a tank..... even those that do aren’t that big of a gamble in my opinion

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...most likely we will be getting a yellow spotted puffer or a dog face (my husband really wants the dog face) I know they get a little big,trying to avoid getting it
Don't know how I could have misinterpreted that.

I responded to what you wrote. I didn't read "what I wanted to."

I'm not trying to derail your thread. Best of luck with the fish.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say yellow spotted puffer, did you mean blue spotted puffer, Canthigaster solandri. In a 60g that would work but would be too small for a dogface or other puffers not in the Canthigaster genus. All the boxfish I know of require much larger tanks, the smallest being the cubicus which still requires a 6' tank. You see the little cute ones in the store, but if they actually survive long, they get at least a foot long in captivity. Most don;t make it long, they are difficult to feed and most don't put them in adequate tanks with the proper tank mates.

NGNSAB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are saddle valentini puffer fishes ok to be in the same tank as a spiny box puffer fish
( the tank being 65 gallon )

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valentini is likely okay. I wouldn't put a spiny box puffer in a 65, unless you have a big tank to move it into. Not sure about mixing them.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spiny box puffers are not particularly aggressive, but anything that can fit in their mouth, they will eat. In general, it's not recommended to mix puffers. A 65 gallon isn't a good permanent home for a spiny box puffer.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back