Puffer freaking out

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did a 60 gallon wc today, waited about an hour after done, and fed the fish. About an hour later the puffer puffed up, first halfway then about five minutes later fully. He stayed puffed for 20-30 seconds and then violently expelled by thrashing. Everyone else was on the other end of the tank. Any ideas? Here's a pic, post puff where his skin is still stretched or holding bubbles.
image.jpeg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is a problem or not. However, I'm going to move this thread over to the "Predatory Fish" forum to attract the attention of those more familiar with puffers and their behavior.

Also [HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG] any advice?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen them do this before, my dogface over the years seemed to do this once per year without apparent reason.

What are his tankmates? If it feels threatened it might do this. Puffers that do this a lot may stress and die.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a porcupine puffer that would do this every once and a while. Keep an eye on him for the next day or 2 to make sure he goes back to normal. If not you will have to burp him

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm no help on puffers but will follow on.

OP
OP
Mfreddy

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple tang and clown trigger that is smaller than him. No one was around, it seemed random. The wife didn't like it very much either

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown trigger? I've never owned one but I have heard that they're very aggressive. You might keep an eye on that fella.

OP
OP
Mfreddy

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trigger doesn't bother him. Lots of room in a 240 with only 3 fish. Getting ready to add more.

OP
OP
Mfreddy

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a porcupine puffer that would do this every once and a while. Keep an eye on him for the next day or 2 to make sure he goes back to normal. If not you will have to burp him
How the heck do you burp them?

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How the heck do you burp them?

You basically hold then in your hand and rub their belly until the air gets out. You can tell if they can't burp on their own because they will have a buldge in their belly.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puffers periodically do puff up without being threatended. I am guessing it is like stretching out for them. Unless they get air trapped in them they should not have any problems.

MUSBFRANK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I seen it quite a bit over the years where they'll puff up for no apparent reason, definitely not being threatened, not sure why they do it (obviously there's a reason) but I've seen them perfectly happy and healthy one minute and all of a sudden turn around and its big as a football. The violent thrashing is just them working the air/water out of their system, so that's normal after puffing up. As far as "holding bubbles", I'm not sure what you mean by that but at times they do have issues (usually during shipping) of trapped air in their body, if this isn't resolved by tomorrow, then as stated above, you'll need to assist him in getting it out, if he starts to have buoyancy issues, then that's when you'll need to step in.

OP
OP
Mfreddy

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post puff he will have micro bubbles on his body for a while. they go away after a half hour or so.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back