Pufferfish and copper

Lil Puff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m wondering if this copper I have is safe with puffers. It’s reef revolution quarantine. It says it contains concentrated copper.
Thanks
IMG_4938.jpeg
IMG_4939.jpeg
IMG_4940.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the dose they give on the label, this is ionic copper. It is very tricky to use, and more toxic to fish. I have used it with puffers before, but I have also had reactions with some of them, I don't use it any longer. The amine-bound coppers such as copper power and coppersafe are much, much safer.

If you do use this, you will need an accurate, low dose copper test kit. You would gradually raise the copper concentration to 0.18 ppm over three days. then, hold the fish at that level for 21 days and remove the copper through water changes. In some aquariums, you need to test 2x a day and add tiny partial doses as needed.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Agree- it is copper salts making it safer but still should be administered at therapeutic level 2.0 wit added aeration.
Are you treating for parasites or is this for quarantine purposes?

OP
OP
Lil Puff

Lil Puff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree- it is copper salts making it safer but still should be administered at therapeutic level 2.0 wit added aeration.
Are you treating for parasites or is this for quarantine purposes?
It’s to treat ich

OP
OP
Lil Puff

Lil Puff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the dose they give on the label, this is ionic copper. It is very tricky to use, and more toxic to fish. I have used it with puffers before, but I have also had reactions with some of them, I don't use it any longer. The amine-bound coppers such as copper power and coppersafe are much, much safer.

If you do use this, you will need an accurate, low dose copper test kit. You would gradually raise the copper concentration to 0.18 ppm over three days. then, hold the fish at that level for 21 days and remove the copper through water changes. In some aquariums, you need to test 2x a day and add tiny partial doses as needed.

Jay
There’s no copper safe or copper power available to me in Australia. Are there any other safer medications for ich?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
There’s no copper safe or copper power available to me in Australia. Are there any other safer medications for ich?
Thanks for mentioning Australia. Copper power should be but there is also Seachem Cupramine to be treated at therapeutic level 0.5
last option is API general cure

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 162 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 56 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.3%
Back