Pufferfish

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen multiple reef tanks with valentini puffers in it successfully.

I think it all depends on your corals, inverts, size tank, and feeding habits. Certain coral and inverts arent more prone to nipping from a puffer and this is enhanced with smaller and less feedings.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a puffer fish that is reef friendly? Between 2 different fish stores one say a certain kind is but the other says it’s not. I know with research the answer can be found, but personal experience is more trustworthy sometimes.
My Dwarf Blue Spot, my favorite fish BTW, was a model citizen for months and then one day went "nacho" crazy on a real nice chalice. Amazing the damage it did in just a few minutes. I loved that fish; tough day re-homing it. :(
And in case you are wondering, it was well fed. Lots of clams on the half shell, etc. Arrghhh........

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think it all depends on your corals, inverts, size tank, and feeding habits. Certain coral and inverts arent more prone to nipping from a puffer and this is enhanced with smaller and less feedings.
+1 any coral shaped like a potato chip, i.e. vase forms of chalices are too tempting.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Puffers are hit and miss, I have been lucky and had two and neither messed with the coral, but ive heard horror stories too though.

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Dwarf Blue Spot, my favorite fish BTW, was a model citizen for months and then one day went "nacho" crazy on a real nice chalice. Amazing the damage it did in just a few minutes. I loved that fish; tough day re-homing it. :(
And in case you are wondering, it was well fed. Lots of clams on the half shell, etc. Arrghhh........
That’s why I’m weighing out my options on them. Lose hundreds on corals if they eat them or just admire them at the fish store lol

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I’m weighing out my options on them. Lose hundreds on corals if they eat them or just admire them at the fish store lol
It's not just the loss of the coral. Puffers are amazing, intelligent, and beautiful fish. Having to re-home it after all the searching, QT-ing, feedings, wonderful time spent with the fish, it's just awful separating from it.

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not just the loss of the coral. Puffers are amazing, intelligent, and beautiful fish. Having to re-home it after all the searching, QT-ing, feedings, wonderful time spent with the fish, it's just awful separating from it.
Oh I’m sure! One of many reasons for asking around and doing some research before I put in the time and effort just to find out maybe it will or wont eat my corals. Probably something I’ll put off until I get another tank up for lionfish and all

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back