OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't even lift it out of the box, I saw the crack took pics and sent the pics to marine depot. They shipped me out a new one, should be here Monday. I can still use this cracked one to plumb my pipes over the weekend.

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy hasn't shipped out my apex controller, I paid him Sep 29th. Just wondering how long is too long before taking it up with paypal? He keeps giving me excuses as to why he hasnt shipped it out. Trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but I really want what I paid for also.

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it just showed up!!

Tank.jpeg

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not off to a good start :(. No instructions for the cabinet and not all the plumbing was in the box so that really stops the build until I can get the threaded bulkhead :(

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not off to a good start :(. No instructions for the cabinet and not all the plumbing was in the box so that really stops the build until I can get the threaded bulkhead :(
Man, that is a bummer. I wouldn't have expected instructions for stand assembly but missing plumbing parts is tough. Unless you have a LFS that carries them that is a show stopper.

What do you think of the build quality on the tank itself?

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t even get another bulkhead from anywhere! I was wondering if it’s possible to just convert it over to us sizes. I called a couple places to see if they would drill it but they won’t touch it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t even get another bulkhead from anywhere! I was wondering if it’s possible to just convert it over to us sizes. I called a couple places to see if they would drill it but they won’t touch it.
What size is the hole that they drilled?

TangingOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I re-drilled mine to 1 1/4" & 1" drain. I left the return alone and used a converter fitting. Drilling was pretty easy. First timer too with bits bought off amazon.

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called a couple glass companies in my area to see if they would drill it but they all wouldn't touch it lol. I didn't feel comfortable drilling it myself.
Brew12, The holes in the tank are 2x 1" and 1x 1.5"
So Scott over at Cadlight is shipping out the missing plumbing tomorrow. He emailed a PDF for the instructions for the Cabinet, myself and my brother had already put it together, it was pretty simple and don't really need directions.
So after ordered some Metric to Standard PVC Adapter from BRS, I think we should be smooth sailing with US sized PVC after the Bulkheads. I will update this thread with how we did the build/plumbing so we have more info for others with these Cadlight setups. I will give my feedback on what I think to the whole build/setup/Cadlight after I have completed it all.

IMG_0964.JPG

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for you guys, Do I have to put floor jacks in my basement to reinforce the floor?
To answer that we would need to know how the floor beneath the tank is supported.

If the wall the tank is against is a structural wall and the flooring supports run perpendicular to the tank you should be fine. If not then you may need to consult a structural engineer to find out.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a jack seeing those pics. The floor will bounce. That just looks like 2x4's?

**edit**
You should ask an engineer also. The way those 2x4's are laced from top to bottom is strange and how does that even help? Plus asking people on a forum won't fly with the insurance if it crashes through the floor.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there another spot you can put it where it will be closer to that steel beam and not parallel to the joists? An engineer could make it work I'm sure. I got one, it cost 400 dollars but worth every penny. Plus they certify their work, if something did happen insurance would love that certificate.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very unusual design for a home floor joist. In theory it should be much stronger than a typical floor joist. That is making the assumption that it was designed and installed correctly which is something I can't comment on.

I agree with calling in an engineer and having them review it. You can easily and cheaply run new beam from the foundation to a jack running perpendicular to those joists and you should be fine. If you can't get it to the top of the foundation, or if that part of the foundation isn't load bearing, you may need a jack on each end of each support.

This really is unusual enough to make calling in a structural engineer worth while. Even a 75g tank could end up being questionable. Those still weigh around 1000 pounds if you don't use a sump.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back