Pulsating Xenia Placement?

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in my tank should this guy go? I got a small frag really cheap at the LFS today on a whim, but it seems like he doesn't want to attach anywhere in my tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in my tank should this guy go? I got a small frag really cheap at the LFS today on a whim, but it seems like he doesn't want to attach anywhere in my tank.
start with a lower flow. pref on a rock kinda alone. as it gets happy it will likely spread. VICIOUSLY. sometimes.:)

OP
OP
Roboson

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really what I'm hoping for. The frag itself has maybe ten heads, so I'm hoping it will grow out a bit. How about lighting? How much is optimal for this little fellow?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really what I'm hoping for. The frag itself has maybe ten heads, so I'm hoping it will grow out a bit. How about lighting? How much is optimal for this little fellow?
it almost will grow in the dark. Most xenia it seems come from murky waters with high nutrients. If you have a high nutrient tank they will sometimes take off on you. great Po4 reducer.
if you can get a lowish med flow so theres some nice waving, they look great and really extend. that same lil colony can be 3 or 4 inches at the end of the week.

Heres a trick, if they start to get a lil out of control, up the flow. they shrink up and dont spread rapidly. IME.
pull all the babies it drops out of the tank.

OP
OP
Roboson

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I try to get it up on a rock or should it be on the sandbed?

phantomreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put on the rock. Unless the rock is isolated from all the other rocks.

I'm telling they are going to spread everywhere and be a nuisance.

OP
OP
Roboson

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have very many corals, just these and two mushrooms and two hitchhiking polyps. So I'm trying to get them to spread. As of now, I have them on a rock away from other rocks in an area of medium flow, and good light. Will that make them grow a lot?

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have very many corals, just these and two mushrooms and two hitchhiking polyps. So I'm trying to get them to spread. As of now, I have them on a rock away from other rocks in an area of medium flow, and good light. Will that make them grow a lot?

time....and before you know it, it will take over your entire tank

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it in a low flow area and it will attach to live rocks. They are very easy but when i first started out, i did kill them :)
Water condition is pretty much the only thing that kills xenia. Give it time and do tank maintenance regularly you will have more than enough

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful what you wish for, they are one of the reasons I broke down my cube tank . I even took out the rocks they were attached to, clipped all the stalks and burned the base that was still attached to the rock with a lighter and they still grew back!

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top view LOL
20160511_073430_zpstjqortae.jpg

OP
OP
Roboson

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my understanding that calerpa has round orb-like things on it. Yours looks more like a cactus than calerpa.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Roboson

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my Xenia: it's almost grown an inch in since I got it. Two days ago. Before it looked like a little waving blob, now it looks like a little pick broccoli. I can see how this stuff could take over a tank.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 40.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 95 51.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back