Pulsing Xenia, all other things aside it is a very pretty coral?!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse the colours (England) it is under old leds, you have to admit it is a very pretty coral! :)

Oh and a thought, a weed in your garden is just a wild flower in the wrong place, I am growing this out for a reason, research your corals people, this is great nutrient export! ;)

DSC_0715 (1024x722).jpg

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about this before, but xenia seems to grow much slower than chaeto or caulerpa. Is that perception wrong?
Seems like it wouldn't be capable of removing nutrients quickly with slower growth.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia is better looking than a lot of other corals others think are great but I dont get the attraction; leathers, etc.

It's a great nitrate eater, and while it can grow fast Xenia doesnt engage in biological warfare.

Removing it also doesnt cause major tank disruptions like macros.

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about this before, but xenia seems to grow much slower than chaeto or caulerpa. Is that perception wrong?
Seems like it wouldn't be capable of removing nutrients quickly with slower growth.

Macros are better, I have an Evo 13.5 tank that this is going into to help with nutrient export, it gets fed a lot! ;)

DSC_0703 (1024x683).jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s one of my favourite corals, a stunning coral to look at and it provides great movement in any reef.

Unfortunately there a big but....

I would love to put some in my new system, and nearly did but the potential to spread everywhere is just to risky

AquaholicAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My small Cube at home got velvet, removed everything out of the tank and 1/4 inch piece of Xenia covered a caribsea arch (8inches) within a month with my radions off! I stay away just because of that lol

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s one of my favourite corals, a stunning coral to look at and it provides great movement in any reef.

Unfortunately there a big but....

I would love to put some in my new system, and nearly did but the potential to spread everywhere is just to risky

Note to self, sneak a frag in when he invites you to a post covid bbq and tick up! ;)

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Xenia - it was actually the first coral I put in my tank Christmas just gone. Following advice, on this forum, I have already pruned it and will continue to do so - I would miss the pulsing too much to get rid of it completely. Especially as I can manage it via maintenance - so long as my urchins don’t fight against me and drag it all over the place!

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone on here said you aren't a serious reef keeper if you have xenia.
I am totally not serious.
IMG_2636-M.jpg

It was 70 dollars a stalk at the LFS so I figure this is about $100,000 worth.
I like watching the eels glide over it.

I don't know how many hundreds of different corals I've had over the years. I got pom pom xenia back in 2006 as one of my first corals and I'm still not tired of watching it pulse. I actually do prefer cespitularia as an even higher coral on my all time great list.

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how many hundreds of different corals I've had over the years. I got pom pom xenia back in 2006 as one of my first corals and I'm still not tired of watching it pulse. I actually do prefer cespitularia as an even higher coral on my all time great list.

Don't make me show you the blue one! ;)

DSC_0727 (1024x749).jpg

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to do a large jar/ small tank sized pico featuring it. Small, because I have literally no space for more tanks

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a beautiful coral
20200515_132258.jpg

Until you start seeing it pop up everywhere
20200520_191201.jpg

Then you go and pull it out and the more you pull it out the more the polyps bail out and the more you spread it around.

I used to like it, still do, I don't hate it now I just want it gone.

joe2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would gladly let Xenia overtake my tank if they were sure to always keep pulsing...but the little jerks stop mysteriously for no reason and then often never start back up. People debate...is there too much flow, not enough...too low iodine? there's a million reasons but these corals are the least understood of our entire hobby. Also for nutrient export they might equal macro algae...but if Xenia crash they dump nutrients faster than a crashing algae and that can be a problem.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would gladly let Xenia overtake my tank if they were sure to always keep pulsing...but the little ******** stop mysteriously for no reason and then often never start back up. People debate...is there too much flow, not enough...too low iodine? there's a million reasons but these corals are the least understood of our entire hobby. Also for nutrient export they might equal macro algae...but if Xenia crash they dump nutrients faster than a crashing algae and that can be a problem.
I don't think they can equal macro algae or even come close, if they did people would be Dumping fistfuls of it away every few days, which they don't. Most misunderstood? I think you are giving dandelions too much credit.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they can equal macro algae or even come close, if they did people would be Dumping fistfuls of it away every few days, which they don't. Most misunderstood? I think you are giving dandelions too much credit.
I have to harvest (trim back with a sharp scissors) my Xenia at least monthly. But the chaeto is more like every two weeks.

U

User1

View Badges
Someone was saying that Xenia is the best selling coral. At least as far as their sales and business goes. I think it was Tan (I forget his name, I'm sorry) of Tidal Gardens. I like it but it is a bit invasive. I actually believe my rose bubble tip anemone are worse. I wish I never introduced one.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 24.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back