Purchasing Macro Algae

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was heeding some advice to not purchase macro algae from fellow reefers since it might contain pests, etc, so I went to a LFS which claim that their macro algae are free from pests, etc.

Got it home, put it into a quarantine tank and dose a bit of Revive, and in less than a minute out dropped some bristle worms, etc.

Anyhow, theme to this message is don't trust what you're told, and do what you can to assume the worst and take measures to resolve it - as in this case, I assumed that the macro algae would be with pests and I did the quarantine, and cleaning procedure.

Moving forward if I ever need more macro algae, rather than paying 2x or 3x the price, I'll just pick up some from local reefers.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was heeding some advice to not purchase macro algae from fellow reefers since it might contain pests, etc, so I went to a LFS which claim that their macro algae are free from pests, etc.

Got it home, put it into a quarantine tank and dose a bit of Revive, and in less than a minute out dropped some bristle worms, etc.

Anyhow, theme to this message is don't trust what you're told, and do what you can to assume the worst and take measures to resolve it - as in this case, I assumed that the macro algae would be with pests and I did the quarantine, and cleaning procedure.

Moving forward if I ever need more macro algae, rather than paying 2x or 3x the price, I'll just pick up some from local reefers.
Bristleworms aren’t a pest, they’re good for the CUC. However, I do see your point, and you should make sure you can trust your supplier when it comes to macroalgae.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the post above me here. It can be really hard to trust most companies at face value these days, it helps if they have many reviews to look at.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristleworms aren’t a pest, they’re good for the CUC. However, I do see your point, and you should make sure you can trust your supplier when it comes to macroalgae.
True.....I didn't identify the type, but there were other things that fell off - I didn't take the time to closely examine, but it was disappointing to see so many things come out from that.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%

Back