Purple Pseudochromis

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nemoose
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Nemoose

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 15, 2012
Messages
161
Reaction score
1
Location
Bloomington, Il
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw one of these, about 1 1/2", at my LFS and thought it was a very cool fish. And it was reasonably priced also. My question is how nasty is it going to be in my 30 gallon FOWLR tank. I have a 2" Fiji Blue Devil and a 3 1/2 - 4" Melanurus Wrasse in there now.
 
These guys can get mean! They are beautiful though....... Make sure it's the last fish you add. Looks like you have a set of bully's in there already so they should handle their own. GL
 
I had a purple fridmani for about two years beautiful fish and never bothered any of my other fish when I put him in. I had clowns, a Midas blenny, and a cardinal in a 34 gallon. He only became a problem when I went to add fish after him. Beat up a six line in less then 24 hours and any other fish I got after that, only tried twice though. The six line was much bigger too. I have since found out that the fridmanis are supposedly a little more aggressive than a standard pseudo but I am not an expert so don't take my word. I ended up selling him just so I could get some other fish I wanted.
 
Last edited:
220px-Magenta_dottyback,_Pictichromis_porphyrea.jpg
 
Well, judging by that pictures, you've got the Purple Psudochromis alright. Pseudochromis porphyreus if I remember correctly. Pretty, but mean little buggers. You can help cut down on aggression by making a lot of caves out of your live rock, as that's where he'll hang out mostly. I would worry a bit about aggression between him and the melanurus, but it shouldn't be too bad once they get used to it. I feel like there may be some issues a bit later on though. I think the Melanurus may start to outgrow the 30, and that could maybe cause a problem or two.
 
like said above there will be aggression and that tank is pushing the small side for most of those fish... we had one and it killed a chromis and a few other fish... so good luck
 
Good choice, if I could describe them in 1 word it would be evil!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new