Purple tip anemone

PrevieAriz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is an emergency. I have 3 different anemones--a purple tip, a long tentacle, and a BTA. Recently (today) the purple tip (the largest) moved between the other two so it is almost touching them. Should I worry?
15786157566121125040814.jpg

OP
OP
PrevieAriz

PrevieAriz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is an emergency. I have 3 different anemones--a purple tip, a long tentacle, and a BTA. Recently (today) the purple tip (the largest) moved between the other two so it is almost touching them. Should I worry?
15786157566121125040814.jpg
The purple tip is the one all the way on the right, long tentacle in the back and BTA on the left.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nope. Anemones have similar cells and structure and although capable of sting corals safe amongst each other

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Anemones have similar cells and structure and although capable of sting corals safe amongst each other
I second this. If you had a haddoni and a bubble moved near it, it might be an issue. But from my experience; bubbles, ltas, and condis can touch with no issues. You also have to remember that if a nem does not like where it is it will move. So if the other don’t like the condi being near them, they will move.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I second this. If you had a haddoni and a bubble moved near it, it might be an issue. But from my experience; bubbles, ltas, and condis can touch with no issues. You also have to remember that if a nem does not like where it is it will move. So if the other don’t like the condi being near them, they will move.
I believe I answered a general question according to photos and not with a haddoni involved. Obviously a carpet especially Haddoni will create a whole new picture

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I answered a general question according to photos and not with a haddoni involved. Obviously a carpet especially Haddoni will create a whole new picture
You did. I was just giving an example of a bad situation.

OP
OP
PrevieAriz

PrevieAriz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Update. Once you told me this was not critical, I left them alone to sort it out themselves. Looks like my long tentacle us battling with the purple tip for the top real estate position! BTA seems happy to chill in a lower nook in the rocks

15787824357511977438491.jpg

OP
OP
PrevieAriz

PrevieAriz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I came home today to find this!!!! My long tentacle is messed up! Is it dead? Should I try to move it or rehome the purple tip?

15788683427691494213085.jpg

OP
OP
PrevieAriz

PrevieAriz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, this morning they both look totally fine do I am going to stop bothering you all about it !

OP
OP
PrevieAriz

PrevieAriz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my long tentacle. Has any one else had an amenone do this? Totally fine yesterday, ate yesterday, fine this morning, came home from work to this.

15821544255541617313691.jpg 15821544529461429120613.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it's an LTA? They dont live on rocks.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN ~ any thoughts? I’ve only kept sebae and BTAs. Different types of BTAs can live next to each other but they don’t seem happy hugging each other. But in this case, I hope someone else can weigh in.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a stickied nem compatibility thread in the anemone and clown section of the forum.

LarLarsLair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bta has one thing in common with my Oscars, they do the strangest stuff to make you think they are dyin when they're fine. I think the Oscars think it gets them fed lol. I've quit stressing over it, unless the bta looks like he's falling apart. They are pretty Hardy. My first night I had him in qt tank an he got sucked into the intake woops. I turned pump off an left him to untangle himself. Chopped up a few tentacles, didn't look happy, wouldn't grab anything with foot just floated around. Now he has a favorite Rock he stays on and 2 clowns to keep him company.
IMG_20200208_090044.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one should not trust that chart on Anemone compatibility. Anemone compatibility is not black and white. Anemone see to be tolerating each other well for a while then start to sting, then OK again. I have no idea why.
For sure OP have a BTA and a Condylactis. I am not certain the species of the third anemone. Need clearer picture. Host anemone often just move when they are sting by coral or another anemone.
I think the shrunk anemone of the OP is sick. He may or may not recover. Healthy anemone rarely completely deflated like that. They do ball up sometime in the evening. This is not a huge problem, but deflating is. When the anemone have abnormal postures, more and more, you need to get him out for treatment. If he just did it once or twice and recovered, then observation ready to take him out for treatment is OK.

If that anemone deflates again, and if he is in my tank, he would go into a HT.

Last edited:

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one should not trust that chart on Anemone compatibility. Anemone compatibility is not black and white. Anemone see to be tolerating each other well for a while then start to sting, then OK again. I have no idea why.
For sure OP have a BTA and a Condylactis. I am not certain the species of the third anemone. Need clearer picture. Host anemone often just move when they are sting by coral or another anemone.
I think the shunk anemone of the OP is sick. He may or may not recover. Healthy anemone rarely completely deflated like that. They do ball up sometime in the evening. This is not a huge problem, but deflating is. When the anemone have abnormal postures, more and more, you need to get him out for treatment. If he just did it once or twice and recovered, then observation ready to take him out for treatment is OK.

If that anemone deflates again, and if he is in my tank, he would go into a HT.
@OrionN I am for here on out calling you the anemone doctor.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one should not trust that chart on Anemone compatibility. Anemone compatibility is not black and white. Anemone see to be tolerating each other well for a while then start to sting, then OK again.

Well it's a bit misleading then to have it stickied and lists you as a contributor, which in my mind, means you endorse it. Perhaps its stickied status should be reviewed? Or maybe a disclaimer on the first post or something.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That thread is not my thread and I don’t have anything to do with it. I was not asked or have my input into it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PrevieAriz

PrevieAriz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, all my anemones are fully back to normal. They seem to do that shrinking trick when one is moving and they are trying to avoid it. Then within a day, they are all in their new spots and happy.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back