PVC light rack

xraymatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, in the process of setting up my new frag tank last weekend, I came across a problem. I realized that I didn't have a way to mount my Kessils. I reached into my pocket and pulled out a 5 dollar bill. Then it hit me....
5 bucks and a trip to Lowes later, I had a fully functional light rack. It won't win any beauty contests, but in this hobby, whatever works!!
IMG_7598.JPG

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, in the process of setting up my new frag tank last weekend, I came across a problem. I realized that I didn't have a way to mount my Kessils. I reached into my pocket and pulled out a 5 dollar bill. Then it hit me....
5 bucks and a trip to Lowes later, I had a fully functional light rack. It won't win any beauty contests, but in this hobby, whatever works!!
IMG_7598.JPG
Nice! Looking good :)

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say, Good Job ! Anybody who cares is just jealous anyway .

Sold4jc7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
3   1   0
I used PVC for a light rack for years on my old tank. Did you paint the frame? Looks clean in the picture.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great.. Never thought about using PVC, I had considered making a light hanger out of structural pipe but in the end decided to just hang my lighting from the ceiling.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7598.JPG

How much weight can a light stand support like this ? Can it support around 60 lbs ? Weight of 2 ATI 48 inch fixtures if made with schedule 80 pvc?

Regards,
Abhishek

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much weight can a light stand support like this ? Can it support around 60 lbs ? Weight of 2 ATI 48 inch fixtures if made with schedule 80 pvc?

Regards,
Abhishek

With that kind of weight you would probably need to start creating a rail type system with the legs on either side of the aquarium or use metal pipe (gas line). Lots of folks go that route.

OP
OP
xraymatt

xraymatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I kind of went off line for a while! I painted the pvc black to match the stand. I like the idea of running the wires thru the pvc [emoji1303].
If you structure it right, it can support a lot of weight. The way I did it, 2 Kessils seems to be the Max!

Back