PVC pipe reef safe?

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize my fire fish has no 'safe hole' to run to. I have no appropriate-sized rock available, so I want to build one for him.

Is pvc pipe an acceptable material? I have some 1/2 inch schedule 40 that is just the right size. Any downsides to this plan?

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do that, yes.
However, if you have a sand bed and big rocks they'll burrow under the rocks.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As many have already suggested, PVC can used in both freshwater and saltwater aquariums. In fact, PVC is commonly used in quarantine tanks to create a quick aquascape for the fish to hide and the PVC can also be easily cleaned for reuse. Good luck!

OP
OP
H

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, here is the finished project. It's the white rock in the front left. It has a 1/2 inch PVC pipe running through it. It's about 3.5 inches long.
20221218_183234.jpg

20221218_183149.jpg
20221218_183141.jpg

Apologies for the photos. Still learning that part.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize my fire fish has no 'safe hole' to run to. I have no appropriate-sized rock available, so I want to build one for him.

Is pvc pipe an acceptable material? I have some 1/2 inch schedule 40 that is just the right size. Any downsides to this plan?
yes, just make sure theres nothing on it, and make sure to rinse it before putting into tank

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use PVC in pretty much everything aquarium related.

Its a cheap life hack for stacking rock easier, it makes great hidey spots and burrows for certain animals that are hard to construct them out of rock for, and its for the most part what we use for the plumbing because what else attaches to overflow bulkheads.

For burrows I often go the extra mile and use a nail filer/sandpaper on the inside, just to make it less smooth for little shrimp and crab feet to attach on easier, otherwise some of them can't climb or hang off it.

The only thing I've always wondered about PVC is the ink they use to write on it. Usually its bar coded and labeled directly on the pipe and for years I always sandpapered that off just out of paranoia of something leeching from it.

ABS AFAIK is basically the same thing just some different capabilities, I've always just called it 'black PVC' which is less noticable inside the aquarium, I don't think it matters in hindsight bar aesthetics for aquariums, just one is more expensive.

Desert Sea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any difference in ABS and PVC as far as aquarium applications?
ABS is not as useful in aquarium use as PVC is. You’re not going to find pipe and fittings under 1 1/4” in ABS. For piping the average aquarium most plumbing will be 1 1/2” or less. The fractional pipe and fitting sizes in PVC are readily available.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back