QT and TTM plan while renting/limited space.

OP
OP
HomeSlizzice

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GC can definitely be used instead of prazipro. It "should" work about the same, the concentration of praziquantel is slightly lower in GC than Prazipro. I know they say Wrasse are sensitive to Praziquantel, I have not experienced this at all using either GC or Prazipro as long as dosed per instructions.

RRR should not be mixed with copper and other meds. It may provide some temporary relief for some parasites used as a bath prior to treatment. Also helps to prevent secondary infections in afflicted fish. No need to combine it with the others anyway as long as you are using a method deemed effective.

The trifecta is to be used dosed into water column. To treat for bacterial infections.

If you are going to transfer fish to clean sterile QT after 14 days of copper the only other treatment you will need prophylactically is food soaked with GC/focus (GC or metro/focus soaked food can be done during copper if you would like. I do it as soon as they are eating and settled into QT, especially with wrasse) and a deworming treatment of GC or Prazipro.

I would not recommend exposing the fish to the trifecta or any antibiotics for that matter prophylactically. Only use if you have a known bacterial infection going on.

Awesome, thank you for the info!

Can GC be dosed directly in the water instead and still have the same effect or does it need to be used on the food?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thank you for the info!

Can GC be dosed directly in the water instead and still have the same effect or does it need to be used on the food?

GC contains Praziquantel and metronidazole. So it can be used either way mixed in food or in water.

Food soaking GC treats for intestinal parasites/worms.

Dosing GC in water column treats for flukes, brook, etc.

OP
OP
HomeSlizzice

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GC contains Praziquantel and metronidazole. So it can be used either way mixed in food or in water.

Food soaking GC treats for intestinal parasites/worms.

Dosing GC in water column treats for flukes, brook, etc.

Can you dose into the water and food soak it at the same time, and is that safe?

OP
OP
HomeSlizzice

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUMP, I have a newly proposed TTM method idea...

I came across these two videos on YouTube from a guy running the TTM on his new clowns. His TTM system seems really easy and effective. Take a look:
How To Do a Quarantine Water Change - Tank Transfer Method:
My New Clownfish And Quarantine Setup. He is showing his TTM set up in detail:

Basically for keeping the temp stable and not needing to use a bunch of heaters, he is using a larger tank for holding the heater, and simply resting the smaller tanks in it and swapping them out as needed.

So after some more reading on research, and I want to see everyone's opinion on if you think it will work for all the major parasites/diseases, especially velvet. I really am trying to find a good way around using copper of some sort as you can tell haha.

NEW QT Quarantine Tank / TTM Tank Transfer Method procedure:

Day 1 - Methylene Blue 30 min bath, Fish in tank.
Day 2 - 1st transfer at 24-36 hours, and add API General Cure to TTM QT (API GC suggested dose is every 48 hours, Humblefish recommended 5-7 days)
Day 3 - 2nd transfer at 24-36 hours, Fresh Water dip, add Rally to TTM QT (suggested dose of Rally is every day for at least 3 days)
Day 4 - 3rd transfer at 24-36 hours, add Rally to TTM QT (suggested dose of Rally is every day for at least 3 days)
Day 5 - 4th transfer at 24-36 hours, add Rally to TTM QT (suggested dose of Rally is every day for at least 3 days)
Day 6 - 5th transfer at 24-36 hours, add Rally to TTM QT (suggested dose of Rally is every day for at least 3 days)
Day 7 - 6th transfer at 24-36 hours, add API General Cure to TTM QT (API GC suggested dose is every 48 hours, Humblefish recommended 5-7 days)
Day 8 - 7th transfer at 24-36 hours, add Seachem Prime (Velvet should be gone)
Day 9 - Nothing, check ammonia
Day 10 - 8th transfer at 48 hours, add Seachem Prime
Day 11 - Nothing, check ammonia
Day 12 - 9th transfer at 48 hours, add Seachem Prime
Day 13 - Nothing, check ammonia
Day 14 - 10th transfer a 48 hours, move to 20G Long QT
Day 15 to 29 - Observe and keep normally in 20G Long QT until day 30
Day 30 - Now if there are no signs of disease, release into display.

Compared to Humblefish's proposed velvet TTM which gave me the inspiration for my post a while ago:
Day 1 - fish in tank
Day 2 - 1st transfer at 36 hours
Day 4 - 2nd transfer at 36 hours
Day 5 - 3rd transfer at 36 hours
Day 7 - 4th transfer at 36 hours
Day 10 - 5th transfer at 71 hours
Day 13 - 6th transfer at 71 hours That protocol should eliminate both ich & velvet.

Equipment for TTM:
3x 16QT Clear Home Depot Storage Bins to rotate to allow them to dry for 48 hours
1x Large Storage Bin that can hold the smaller Storage Bins
1x Heater
3x Identical PVC elbows/T's for hiding to rotate to allow them to dry for 48 hours
3x Airstones w/ airlines and air pump to rotate to allow them to dry for 48 hours

Equipment for QT observation post TTM:
1x 20G Long or 29G Tank
1x Heater
1x glass thermometer
PVC elbows/T's for hiding
1x Seachem Ammonia Alert badges
1x Airstones w/ airlines and airpump.
1x HOBSeachem Tidal Filter 55

Thoughts?

@HotRocks @Brew12 @Humblefish

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back