QT contaminated some advice needed

Alex_GT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone i am writing this not with a exact question but looking for ideas, I am using as a QT an old tank with LR and two Clownfish, is not the ideal QT but I have an idea why to use it, it has been working great, a introduce 1 juvenile imperator, 1 Auriga butterfly, 1 lemonpeel, 1 bicolor angelfish, they were introduced 20 days ago, I used prazipro and after it I started metroplex, they were eating really well (reefnutrition and nory) since the imperator was only 1.5 inches I haven been feeding 5 times a day, they old tank have a lot of GHA and they are eating the GHA (that was my idea and worms, pods, etc) everything was great I was going to have them for 2 months there and after it they will go the big tank, I am taking a lot of precautions because I have a 6+ years powder blue tang that has survived 2 ich attacks (when he was young) and I want him to be secure, everything was great until today (I was prepared for ICH, velvet or any other disease but not for what happened)

Today I performed a water change I mix the water since last night I take my readings to do the proper water change, after I did we take something to eat with my daughter and she told me dad I smell bleach, maybe is the new maid that is cleaning at the bathroom I told her, when I see the QT the bicolor was dead I was surprised since he was eating very well but sometimes new fishes die from the blue, then I saw the other fishes gasping for air at the sand and rocks, the male clownfish was like nothing but all the other was in really bad shape I asked the maid and she told me she used the recipient the last Saturday to disinfect fruit!!!! (4 days ago?) with bleach.

I remember I have an old bottle of Tetra Aquasafe for bettas and it is supposed to remove chlorine and chloramine, I place it and doble dose according to the instructions and perform another water change (small since I don’t have a lot of RODI at hand and fresh mixed water but it was an emergency I let it mix for two hours) I place GAC to run, I reduce the power of the powerhead but placed it looking at the surface.

Well now the lemonpeel is gasping for air at the sand but he swims a little bit, then again on his side gasping for air, the female clownfish is on the sand but not at her side just lethargic, the butterfly is swimming like nothing, the male clownfish he is still like nothing, the imperator is lethargic but is not at the sand is in the cave he selected to live but not at the sand or rocks and from time to time he swims a little bit, all of them are breathing really fast (except the male clownfish he is business as usual).

I have been reading at this forum an other about this and I found the chlorine destroy the cells in charge to move the oxygen into the fish bodies and burn the gills, so my idea is to remove it from water, oxygenate it as much as I can and hope for the best.

My course of action for tomorrow, perform another small water change and do it daily for 5 days (or wait a few days?), change GAC (I will change it everyday for 5 days), I think the bacteria has suffer too so I am adding MB7+No3Po4 everyday (or is better not do anything to water chemistry I was adding mb7 weekly), stop meds, I am not going to give food until tomorrow (or wait more?), I am not using more dechloriner (or do your think is a good idea continue using it for few days?) as far as I have been reading I am lucky not all of them die and I suppose if the gills don’t develop an infection they will recover and I am assuming the water well oxygenated help them to oxygenate the body.

Any advice? Do you guys think my course of action is well oriented or not?

Thanks a lot for any help in advance

Alex

P.S. i posted it an another forum too thanks

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This probably would have gotten more attention in the fish disease subforum...are the fish better? What happened to the maid?

I always keep Prime on hand to deal with chlorination issues. But if this were to happen, I would immediately do as large a water change as I could, dose whatever dechlorinator I had on hand and leg it to the LFS to buy water while running the RODI unit. I'd also try to aerate the water as much as possible to get more oxygen in. Oh and I'd turn the lights on, I've heard that light helps catalyze the bleach reduction reaction.

I'd do large water changes instead of smaller water changes. At that point, the bleach probably killed some part of the filter off, and it would be better to do large water changes to not only get rid of any bleach hanging around in the water, but also to make sure the water parameters stayed in check while the beneficial bacteria population bounced back.

OP
OP
Alex_GT

Alex_GT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for the help, the fishes are now at the DT, my PBT became agressive at first but after i use the mirror trick everything became great, i hope their life goes without problems anymore...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back