QT question

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Gramma started flashing last week. So, I will need to pull my fish and run the tank fallow. I have the Gramma, Melanarus Wrasse, Midas Blenny, 2 T/P Clowns and a Firefish. My question is can I put all of therm in the same 20gal QT or would I need to split them up into 2 QT's so they don't get stressed? I was thinking of putting the Gramma, Melanarus and Midas in the 20 and getting another tank for the Clowns and Firefish. I don't have much space so what would be the minimum size tank I could get away with if I need to go with 2 QT's?
Sucks that I got Ich, I QT all the fish too, but I'm thinking it might of come in when I added some Turbos a little while ago to help out with some algae control. I wasn't happy with my rockscape and sand anyway, so now I can fix that while my tanks fallow.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only symptom you're seeing is flashing? If that is the case with no other physical symptoms than you might be jumping the gun.

OP
OP
jd371

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I did see some small white spots on it's fins, none on his body, and he's not eating. The Midas is also flashing, but not as much as the Gramma. I'm getting a delivery of Coppersafe today and setting up the 20gal after work to get the Gramma in there asap.

OP
OP
jd371

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm moving the fish from a 75gal to the 2ogal QT. Can all 6 fish go into the 20 or do I have to split them up?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm moving the fish from a 75gal to the 2ogal QT. Can all 6 fish go into the 20 or do I have to split them up?

You can fit that bioload in a 20 gal; but you will need a biofilter (ex. HOB powerfilter) to help control ammonia and a bottle of live nitrifying bacteria (exs. Stability, Bio-spira, Dr. Tim's) to seed it with. Give it a few days to seed before adding copper.

OP
OP
jd371

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Humble fish. I do have a HOB filter and placed the ceramic rings that came with it it in the fuge months ago to get seeded. I also have a bottle of stability and filter material. My main concern was stress or aggression in the fish, moving from the 75 into the smaller 20.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Humble fish. I do have a HOB filter and placed the ceramic rings that came with it it in the fuge months ago to get seeded. I also have a bottle of stability and filter material. My main concern was stress or aggression in the fish, moving from the 75 into the smaller 20.

Add multiple PVC elbows so everyone has a place to hide away. ;)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back