QT question

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Currently have my 115g DT been running for 4 weeks now. - it has a few fish in there that were QT'd

Currently wondering if I need to take my other fish out of copper or just let it ramp down and dose prazi to complete their QT to put them in Display Tank

QT fish currently :
Yellow tang, hippo, damsel, 2 clowns (from wife's tank), 2 clowns (my tank)

My QT included:
1. 40b for 14d copper @ 2.4-2.6 ppm - 29ppt salinity
2. TRANSFERED TO 20 long @ 2.4-2.6 ppm - 29ppt salinity (been here for 5d)

At this point, my yellow tang is showing stress factors (red mark in head again like when I first introduced him, it went away about day 3-4 into 2.5 copper & came back a couple days ago)
Considering I ran 21d copper @ 2.5 copper PLUS basically hypo salinity. Would this be good enough for me to lower the copper down. Treat prazi for 3-5 days and then put them into Display tank? Or do I avoid prazi because I have not seen any symptoms?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have my 115g DT been running for 4 weeks now. - it has a few fish in there that were QT'd

Currently wondering if I need to take my other fish out of copper or just let it ramp down and dose prazi to complete their QT to put them in Display Tank

QT fish currently :
Yellow tang, hippo, damsel, 2 clowns (from wife's tank), 2 clowns (my tank)

My QT included:
1. 40b for 14d copper @ 2.4-2.6 ppm - 29ppt salinity
2. TRANSFERED TO 20 long @ 2.4-2.6 ppm - 29ppt salinity (been here for 5d)

At this point, my yellow tang is showing stress factors (red mark in head again like when I first introduced him, it went away about day 3-4 into 2.5 copper & came back a couple days ago)
Considering I ran 21d copper @ 2.5 copper PLUS basically hypo salinity. Would this be good enough for me to lower the copper down. Treat prazi for 3-5 days and then put them into Display tank? Or do I avoid prazi because I have not seen any symptoms?
29 ppt isn’t really considered hyposalinity, it won’t have any effect in treating disease. The course of copper is appropriate though, I’d go the full 30 days.

Personally, I would change water to drop the copper to 1ppm or do, and then dose with prazi twice, 8 days apart, with really good aeration.

Jay

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
29 ppt isn’t really considered hyposalinity, it won’t have any effect in treating disease. The course of copper is appropriate though, I’d go the full 30 days.

Personally, I would change water to drop the copper to 1ppm or do, and then dose with prazi twice, 8 days apart, with really good aeration.

Jay
Gotcha, i did the lower salinity in hopes of lowering chances for any parasite but safe for the fish. was scared to go full hypo with the copper . i think tank #1 actually was 1.018-1.020 at some point for ab a week till my water change but when i transferred to the 20 long it's 28-29ppt now that i can confirm.

I will lower the copper tonight with a water change & begin prazi dosage. Is it worth doing a FW dip on all the fish during water change?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, i did the lower salinity in hopes of lowering chances for any parasite but safe for the fish. was scared to go full hypo with the copper . i think tank #1 actually was 1.018-1.020 at some point for ab a week till my water change but when i transferred to the 20 long it's 28-29ppt now that i can confirm.

I will lower the copper tonight with a water change & begin prazi dosage. Is it worth doing a FW dip on all the fish during water change?

FW dips are really best used as a diagnostic tool for Neobenedenia flukes, for other flukes, you need a microscope to see them in the dip water. For all flukes, unless you move the fish to a clean tank after the dip, it only serves as a temporary relief. Dips can also cause a lot of stress, not from the dip itself, but from chasing the fish around to catch them for the dip.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back