QT tank. Cycle or no cycle?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Saltgator
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Joined
Mar 4, 2011
Messages
3,488
Reaction score
142
Location
SouthWest FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got into a conversation with a fellow hobbyist and we debated on if a qt should be allowed to cycle. Some of us utilize rockwork, while others only use pvc, so looking to see what everyone else thought.

Country Boy using tapatalk on his EVO
 
There has to be some bacteria in the QT to convert ammonia and nitrite to nitrate. I use a HOB filter with a seeded sponge. I leave my QT running all the time. Some keep the sponge in the sump of their display and only use it when setting up a QT.
 
There has to be some bacteria in the QT to convert ammonia and nitrite to nitrate. I use a HOB filter with a seeded sponge. I leave my QT running all the time. Some keep the sponge in the sump of their display and only use it when setting up a QT.

Exactly what I was thinking too. I usually like the Bio wheel hob filters for this running 24/7 too.

Country Boy using tapatalk on his EVO
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 51 34.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 21 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new