QT Tank

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im looking to set up a 10 or 20 gallon qt tank. I'll probably go for a petsmart kit. The tank will be set up in my daughters room. I understand the tank needs to be as bare bones as possible, but I'd like for it to look decent to help keep my daughter interested. Can any type of substrate safely be used? Maybe some gravel of some sort? How about dry rock? Are there any small fish that I could keep permently in the qt? I also plan on a 10 gallon coral/invert qt. Can that have sand and rock?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im looking to set up a 10 or 20 gallon qt tank. I'll probably go for a petsmart kit. The tank will be set up in my daughters room. I understand the tank needs to be as bare bones as possible, but I'd like for it to look decent to help keep my daughter interested. Can any type of substrate safely be used? Maybe some gravel of some sort? How about dry rock? Are there any small fish that I could keep permently in the qt? I also plan on a 10 gallon coral/invert qt. Can that have sand and rock?
You really shouldn't have any substrate in your fish QT. I also don't recommend keeping fish in it full time since you shouldn't expose them to the repeated rounds of medication you can expect to use.
I'm actually setting up a coral/invert QT right now and I do have substrate in it along with live rock. It will look like a small DT just without fish.

Homestead_Dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking you could use plastic or glass beads or rocks just fine then if you have to use medication to treat fish you get the fish healthy move them bleach the tank and the glass beads rinse in RO.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking you could use plastic or glass beads or rocks just fine then if you have to use medication to treat fish you get the fish healthy move them bleach the tank and the glass beads rinse in RO.
That is an excellent idea!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back