QT to OT to DT

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could use some input on transitioning my fish to their new and much bigger home.

- - QT 55 Gallons - -
Occupants and amount of time in QT/copper at 2.5 ppm

small
2x clownfish 36 days
1x bar goby 36 days
1 x yellow watchmen 36 days
1x red banded goby 36 days
1x yellow tang 3 inches 36 days
1x blue tang 3-4 inches 36 days

medium
1x Achilles 24 days
1x foxface 36 days

large
1x blue tang 12 days 8-9 inches
1x yellow tang 11 days 8 inches

There is a bunch of back story to all this, but to keep it simple this is a combination of fish that were housed together previously and some new fish. Happy to provide details if asked/needed.

The two large tangs outgrew there old system and needed to be moved to my new system. I added them to the QT recently but sectioned them off from the smaller yellow tang, blue tang, and Achilles using egg crate.

- - Observation Tank - -

This is a 20 gallon long that I have freshly cycled and did a large water change. It currently houses 4 black mollies for early signs of disease. No other fish have been added. It has small ceramic media and one piece about .25lbs of cycled clean live rock.

The 20 long is separated into 3 compartments using egg crate.

- - 180 Gallon DT - -

This currently houses about 30 frags, a couple RBTA, and 2 black mollies. They have been in the tank three weeks and I have not seen any signs of disease. I am adding one more tonight to be sure.

- - Question - -

What does everyone think the best way to transition all these fish from QT to OT to DT should be?

I do have a refugium that could hold a few fish while other make it through.

Thoughts?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not exactly sure what you are planning on, but three basic bits of advice I would have is: give all fish at least 30 days in copper, dose with Prazipro for flukes and if you added fish on top of fish that were already in the QT, reset the counter to day 0.

Jay

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not exactly sure what you are planning on, but three basic bits of advice I would have is: give all fish at least 30 days in copper, dose with Prazipro for flukes and if you added fish on top of fish that were already in the QT, reset the counter to day 0.

Jay
Thank you, They will be getting a general cure treatment next week. I am concerned about getting the fish in the tank in the correct order and not overloading the observation tank with tangs for two weeks is another concern. I don’t want to spike ammonia.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back