QT'ing Tangs question?

um_fan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Every and Happy New Year!

Quick question on QT'ing Tangs in general!
Anything in particular with tangs as they are a bit more "sensitive"
Only thing I was going to change from below was to do a dip before dropping into the QT.
Fresh water or Formlin? Suggestions?

My usual process for QT'ing
  • Day 1: 1.0 copper power @ 1.021-1.025 (depending on LFS)
  • Raising copper power to 2.5 over the next 3 days (30 days @ 2.5)
  • Also dosing general cure as per instructions. I don't soak the food.
  • Day 34 large water change, drop a bag of carbon and a poly filter in the HOB filter
  • Followed by 7-10 days "observation" and raising salinity to match DT if needed.
QT is a 20G!

Saludos!

tonydig11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I do different is lower copper after day 30 by doing two 50% water changes over 2 days. Then I dose General Cure.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to handle copper fine. I don't think tangs are sensitive, just prone to protozoan infections. I don't think most of us go to 2.5 on the Copper Power, but that is what is written on the bottle.

I would actually go right into the display after the copper treatment. Or if you want to do an observation, I would do it in a new and "sterile" tank. But everyone has their own way.

OP
OP
um_fan5

um_fan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!
@nereefpat I wish I had another tank...Between the DT, QT and the mixing station I'm putting together I don't think the mrs would appreciate a 3rd tank

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue tangs IME have been sensitive to copper and I got false positives for ich / velvet on skin reactions. My YT was fine though. If you could, 14 days of therapeutic copper and then move to new sterile environment is enough. You could technically move them to an aerated 5G bucket for 2 days, while you get the QT sanitized and dried before putting them back in, shortening their time in copper.

OP
OP
um_fan5

um_fan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last couple of days I've been reading on tangs!

I've usually done 30 days in copper but I've seen for tangs it's recommended 14 days!
Which one is it? Plans are for a Blue Hippo, Yellow or Bristletooth Tang all juvenile.
Depending on how "involved" the process is with the tangs I would be QT'ing couple of other fishes.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In lieu of your QT protocol, have you tried the Hybrid TTM?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've usually done 30 days in copper but I've seen for tangs it's recommended 14 days!
Which one is it?
If you are treating an ich or velvet infection, and you're doing it with only one QT tank, then 30+ days in copper is probably best practice.

If you can do therapeutic levels of copper for 14 days, then move to a tank that is guaranteed to be ich free, then 14 days is more than long enough for all the feeding and free swimming stages of ich or velvet to be gone. This isn't exclusive to tangs.

Does that make sense?
Plans are for a Blue Hippo, Yellow or Bristletooth Tang all juvenile.
All three can coexist in a large enough tank.

OP
OP
um_fan5

um_fan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only one tank 20G QT and it's 2 tangs! either or Yellow or Bristletooth and the blue hippo... depending on the LFS shipment tomorrow!
I haven't done a Hybrid TTM

Guess what I'm going to:
Day 1: 1.0 copper
Day 2-4: Raise copper to 2.5
Day 5-18: therapeutic copper (14 Days)
Day 19-22: Pull fish out and into a new storage bin (27G) that I purchase to store the xmas decorations.
Wash QT and air dry
Day 23-37: Back into QT tank and 2 rounds of general cure
Day 38-45: "observation"
Makes sense??

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a thorough plan to me. The only thing to worry about will be ammonia in the QT, so have a plan for that: like 'cycled' media, or water changes, etc.

tonydig11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why rush it and stress the fish moving them around? Give them the full 30 days. Lower the copper then add the GC. Rushing never leads to success.

OP
OP
um_fan5

um_fan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a thorough plan to me. The only thing to worry about will be ammonia in the QT, so have a plan for that: like 'cycled' media, or water changes, etc.
I have a couple of sponges in the sump plus bio media I could grab for "round 2" of the QT.
Also have BIO-Spira and MB7 I could dose.
Only thing I forgot to add, Day 1- Will also dip fish into fresh water or formalin prior dropping into QT

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have a couple of sponges in the sump plus bio media I could grab for "round 2" of the QT.
Also have BIO-Spira and MB7 I could dose.
Only thing I forgot to add, Day 1- Will also dip fish into fresh water or formalin prior dropping into QT
So what was your final plan and how did it go? I actually just got a purple and a White tail Bristletooth and placed them in the QT today. Was going to slowly start the copper tomorrow

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back