Quarantine Experience with Copperband Butterfly Fish

Have you tried your hand at a Copperband Butterfly Fish?

• Total voters

Jay Hemdal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I like the molly method since the black contrast makes it so easy to see ich when it first breaks. I’m not sure that I agree with the ideas that mollies will get ich first since they’ve not been exposed before, they get FW ich fairly easily, but Cryptocaryon is a different parasite.
If the CBB were mine, I’d leave it in the QT for two more weeks, too many times I’ve seen folks move them too soon and they get ich.....

Jay

OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
I like the molly method since the black contrast makes it so easy to see ich when it first breaks. I’m not sure that I agree with the ideas that mollies will get ich first since they’ve not been exposed before, they get FW ich fairly easily, but Cryptocaryon is a different parasite.
If the CBB were mine, I’d leave it in the QT for two more weeks, too many times I’ve seen folks move them too soon and they get ich.....

Jay

Great advice, I’m not opposed to keeping it in QT longer. How long would it take the black Molly’s to show saltwater ich? @Jay Hemdal

mattzang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
my main complaint about black mollies in QT is they seem to die via pump/powerhead way too easy. and when they're alive they seem to love to hang out right next to powerheads/pumps :rolleyes:

Jay Hemdal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Great advice, I’m not opposed to keeping it in QT longer. How long would it take the black Molly’s to show saltwater ich? @Jay Hemdal
I’m not sure of the time frame, thus my conservative advice(grin).

Jay

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
As with all my fish now, I treat with chloroquine phosphate for 10-14 days (depending on the sensitivity of the fish) then into an observation tank with black mollies for 30 days. In the observation tank I treat with prazipro then fatten them up. Out of over a dozen fish, I've had one fail where a molly showed velvet within days and died. I attribute the fail to an error on my part. Either I forgot to pre-treat make up water, cross contamination or something. 14 days is probably sufficent but I'd play it safe and go for 30 days as long as your observation tank is not stressing him out.

OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
As with all my fish now, I treat with chloroquine phosphate for 10-14 days (depending on the sensitivity of the fish) then into an observation tank with black mollies for 30 days. In the observation tank I treat with prazipro then fatten them up. Out of over a dozen fish, I've had one fail where a molly showed velvet within days and died. I attribute the fail to an error on my part. Either I forgot to pre-treat make up water, cross contamination or something. 14 days is probably sufficent but I'd play it safe and go for 30 days as long as your observation tank is not stressing him out.

Great advice, I’ve had the CBB in QT and he was treated with 2 doses of Prazipro plus food soaked GC many weeks back. I’ve only had the black Molly’s in for 6 days. Are you saying to wait another 24 days of disease free activity before adding the CBB to DT then? @ReefHog

Jay Hemdal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

Are you currently able to source chloroquine? Bulk material for public aquariums has been taken off the market after that Covid debacle. There was a guy selling it on Ebay, but he jacked his price up and Ebay pulled his ads.

Jay

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Are you currently able to source chloroquine? Bulk material for public aquariums has been taken off the market after that Covid debacle. There was a guy selling it on Ebay, but he jacked his price up and Ebay pulled his ads.

Jay
Hey Jay,

Fortunately I purchased 200 grams from N.F.P. in late 2019 before the pandemic hit. The expiration date is January 2023. Being a hobbyist, all-be-it with four tanks, that should be plenty for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately, the Feds stopped CP from being sold and I believe other "fish meds" may become collateral damage as well. I plan on experimenting with H202 over the winter months as there are many successes being reported using it and I don't see CP becoming available again to hobbyists.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Great advice, I’ve had the CBB in QT and he was treated with 2 doses of Prazipro plus food soaked GC many weeks back. I’ve only had the black Molly’s in for 6 days. Are you saying to wait another 24 days of disease free activity before adding the CBB to DT then? @ReefHog
My concern would be that the prazi/GC treatment does not address Marine Ich or Velvet. If I had other fish in my DT, I wouldn't be comfortable with less than 30 days with the mollies because of this. That being said, CBBs are tricky fish as they tend not to do well in small barren quarantine tanks. I did my 30 day observation in a 29 gallon with seasoned sand and rocks covered in Aptasia.

OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
My concern would be that the prazi/GC treatment does not address Marine Ich or Velvet. If I had other fish in my DT, I wouldn't be comfortable with less than 30 days with the mollies because of this. That being said, CBBs are tricky fish as they tend not to do well in small barren quarantine tanks. I did my 30 day observation in a 29 gallon with seasoned sand and rocks covered in Aptasia.
I have had the CBB in a 29 gallon with live rock covered in Aptasia & have been feeding him live clams sliced & diced on top of LRS for 3-4 feedings per day. He appears to be healthy and continues to eat more & more. I change 40% water every 3-4 days matching the salinity. I’m currently at Day #34 but only at Day #6 with black Molly’s.

I suppose I should continue to observe for longer since I’ve QT’d for this long. Was planning on adding him to the DT tomorrow but maybe that’s not the right play

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
I have had the CBB in a 29 gallon with live rock covered in Aptasia & have been feeding him live clams sliced & diced on top of LRS for 3-4 feedings per day. He appears to be healthy and continues to eat more & more. I change 40% water every 3-4 days matching the salinity. I’m currently at Day #34 but only at Day #6 with black Molly’s.

I suppose I should continue to observe for longer since I’ve QT’d for this long. Was planning on adding him to the DT tomorrow but maybe that’s not the right play
Where did you get the rock from? Since it has aptasia attached, I assume it came from an established tank. If you disregard the highly unlikely 72 day strain, the Tomont stage of Ich can stay attached to rock (or any hard surface) for up to 35 days before being released to the water column to find a fish host to feed from. And that's without fish. Since it's been 34 days, if there were ich or velvet in the tank the mollies would most likely hit on them in the next several days. Sometimes the quarantine can be worse on a fish than the disease or parasites and it's good to get them out asap. Your guy sounds like hes doing just fine, so I'd give him at least one more week with the mollies.

OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Where did you get the rock from? Since it has aptasia attached, I assume it came from an established tank. If you disregard the highly unlikely 72 day strain, the Tomont stage of Ich can stay attached to rock (or any hard surface) for up to 35 days before being released to the water column to find a fish host to feed from. And that's without fish. Since it's been 34 days, if there were ich or velvet in the tank the mollies would most likely hit on them in the next several days. Sometimes the quarantine can be worse on a fish than the disease or parasites and it's good to get them out asap. Your guy sounds like hes doing just fine, so I'd give him at least one more week with the mollies.
Appreciate it! Yes, the rock actually came from my Sump in my 131 gallon DT & the sump was loaded with aptasia especially on this rock.

He cleared all the aptasia out in less than a week so I added another rock a few weeks after.

Appreciate the advicez

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Appreciate it! Yes, the rock actually came from my Sump in my 131 gallon DT & the sump was loaded with aptasia especially on this rock.

He cleared all the aptasia out in less than a week so I added another rock a few weeks after.

Appreciate the advicez
I would say if the mollies don't hit on anything after 14 days you should be in the clear.

How's your tank currently looking?

• Never better

Votes: 46 14.5%
  • Pretty good

Votes: 142 44.7%
  • Just OK

Votes: 72 22.6%
  • Not great

Votes: 31 9.7%
  • Prett Bad

Votes: 11 3.5%
  • Yuck