Quarantine fish during move process.

omar jawad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R members. I am moving my display tank and adding a few upgrades. I haven't seen any signs of disease and most of the fish have been in this tank for around two years. I know that the fish can build immunity to infections, and those diseases may remain in your tank. I was thinking about doing a 30-day quarantine on the fish during the move process. The system is going to be upgraded from 100 gallons of total water to 200 gallons. I am documenting this upgrade in another thread.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...nk-design-with-waterfall.614293/#post-6190984
Currently, I have a Reefer 450, and it has been running for five years. I will be replacing the sand bed but keeping the marine pure ceramic balls and live rock, so I don't expect a long cycle with the addition of two 35 gallon frag/lagoon tanks. The three tanks will be sharing water.
Do you guys think the quarantine is a good idea? I'm sure the fish will be under stress and I will be adding new fish to the new tanks.
Thank You!

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an interesting thought and there might be some merit there, but if you were going to do it then I would go all the way and let the tank remain fallow for 76 days while the fish are in quarantine.

Ich can survive in a fishless tank for longer than 30 days, so I don’t think quarantining the fish for only 30 days would really be beneficial. Either skip the quarantine and keep running the same way you are now or do it right and keep the tank fallow for 76 days.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 42 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 47 49.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 7.3%
Back