Do overall more fish die when using a quarantine approach compared to "dump 'n pray"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one of the reasons why I started this poll. I recently saw the video from Tidal Gardens about how to QT. First prazipro and then in-tank formaldehyde. It was all “very gentle and very simple”. I just had a batch of fish to QT and I followed their recommendations, which are not too far off from what experts in the field would say. Except that formaldehyde may be less effective compared to copper. When the rounds of formaldehyde were done, two days later, 3/5 fish had a crazy flare-up of ick/velvet, and the next day they’re dead. I felt terrible about it. I am a chemistry engineer with a PhD degree in life sciences, I used to work at the Sea Life Centre in Belgium working with marine animals and I still screw this up :-(.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, 90% of the reason to quarantine is to protect the inhabitants of my main tank.

Keeping a new arrival in a separate fully-cycled observation/conditioning tank for three months, seems like it would surface the vast majority of diseases the fish might be carrying, would allow the fish to recover from the capture/shipment stress and would allow it to get used to the food you'll be feeding it without having to compete with other tank inhabitants.

Hardly seems like a waste of time to me, it's a lot less work than TTM (yes, I'm lazy) and seems like it would be a lot less stressful for the fish.
Not at all. 12 days and they go in the display instead of 3 months of observation? And then treatment? Sounds like an eternity.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The number one reason for quarantining new arrivals for a two to three week period in a QT is to help to prevent the spread of any potential disease a fish may be carrying. There are those that feel a QT is a waste of time and money, the reason being that as long you have good water quality and a well-maintained aquarium, fish can stave off disease, parasite or infections on their own. In many cases, like with bacterial infections, this can be true, but after all the expense and time you have put into your aquarium community, why assume a problem won't spread?
Consider this. . . . . . When dealing with a disease such as ich or velvet which is commonly associated with stress, that can quickly and easily spread and potentially wipe out a whole fish community in a very short period if not treated properly.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one of the reasons why I started this poll. I recently saw the video from Tidal Gardens about how to QT. First prazipro and then in-tank formaldehyde. It was all “very gentle and very simple”. I just had a batch of fish to QT and I followed their recommendations, which are not too far off from what experts in the field would say. Except that formaldehyde may be less effective compared to copper. When the rounds of formaldehyde were done, two days later, 3/5 fish had a crazy flare-up of ick/velvet, and the next day they’re dead. I felt terrible about it. I am a chemistry engineer with a PhD degree in life sciences, I used to work at the Sea Life Centre in Belgium working with marine animals and I still screw this up :-(.

I saw that video. There was some things mentioned in that video that just was not accurate although its great to see them getting people thinking about QT but it definitely put up some red flags.

Always best to follow the experts like Jay or Humblefish and not venders (who's business/expertise is coral and sales and not fish disease).

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back