Quarantine Setup Made Easy

Osric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you add links to information about airborne transmission of velvet and ich?

I hadn’t heard of this before and my current plan was to place my QTs under my display where a sump would usually be. This is certainly less than 10’ away from water surface to water surface, though the aquarium is in a cabinet and there would not be a lot of airflow from the bottom section of the cabinet to the top, it is not sealed off either.

Thanks

Osric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also curious about water for the QT systems. My plan is to set up my water changes so that waste water from the primary system of about 400G goes into the QT systems on a daily basis (perhaps 4 or 8G per day). I felt this was likely to really keep the QT systems clean and the constant water changes for the display and QT systems should be beneficial to both. However I haven’t heard of anyone doing this and I wonder if that means it is a bad idea.

Thanks

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is for the general discussion of the Article QUARANTINE SETUP MADE EASY. Please add to the discussion here.
Great article. This covered the topic so thoroughly and was written so clearly, no one should be afraid to quarantine fish. I love the detail and links. Thanks! Dan

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article. This covered the topic so thoroughly and was written so clearly, no one should be afraid to quarantine fish. I love the detail and links. Thanks! Dan
Thanks for this

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question, would a refugium help for nitrate control in a QT or would copper kill off the algae?

You want bare bones in QT, I would avoid refugium. I suggest frequent water changes to control nitrate.

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can different types of fish be quarantined simultaneously in the same QT tank if they will be put in the main display tank together? i.e. could i quarantines a pair of clowns along with a watchman goby and pistol shrimp in the same QT tank?

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can different types of fish be quarantined simultaneously in the same QT tank if they will be put in the main display tank together? i.e. could i quarantines a pair of clowns along with a watchman goby and pistol shrimp in the same QT tank?
you couldn't do it with copper because the pistol shrimp will die.
However you could do the clowns and goby but watchmen are hard to QT due to them mostly eating from established sand beds

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article.
This is my QT setup. Very happy with it although I would change the sponge filter with a HOB one, salt creep is too much. Also I can move rock rubble inside a HOB filter and free some space for swim.

IMG_1335.JPG

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also curious about water for the QT systems. My plan is to set up my water changes so that waste water from the primary system of about 400G goes into the QT systems on a daily basis (perhaps 4 or 8G per day). I felt this was likely to really keep the QT systems clean and the constant water changes for the display and QT systems should be beneficial to both. However I haven’t heard of anyone doing this and I wonder if that means it is a bad idea.

Thanks
Only problem with that plan is trying to keep medications at proper levels with the daily addition of water.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nicely done. With the introduction of the Hana Checker copper QT has become much more reliable. Just my 2 cents

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise, Dan. I see a lot of discussion about medicating in your QT. Does anyone use a hospital tank for prophylactic treatment before quarantine and any subsequent treatment required? Not using medication in the quarantine tank allows you to quarantine invertebrates in the same tank as well.

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
I use my DT water for w/c's in my QT's. I believe it has worked fine for us.

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you couldn't do it with copper because the pistol shrimp will die.
However you could do the clowns and goby but watchmen are hard to QT due to them mostly eating from established sand beds
Inverts must be QT'ed separate without any fish.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back