Quarantine Tank Cycle?

MrZ3no

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on starting a new setup with the reefer 350. I want to also build a simple quarantine tank and keep my fish in there while my main tank is cycling(20gal). Now my question is; do I need to cycle the quarantine tank? Or will I be fine if I have the right parameters? along with right equipment such as heater, hang on filter with a sponge only, wave maker, pvc hiding and a simple light, monitor ammonia and do water changes according to the ammonia level. Should I be able to add fish right after setting up qt or do I have to add some sort of quick start bacteria? And cycle as usual? Do fish less cycle or with fish? Do I need to dose anything? If so what do you recommend? This qt will only be on when I plan on getting new fishes and not permanent. Any advice or information would be highly appreciated!

First batch Fish I’m planning on quarantining before adding to main tanks are : 2 clowns, 1-2 yellow tang(if I see algae growth on the tank.) I will be quarantining until the main tank is fully cycled or longer (4weeks+)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a general rule, if you plan to closely monitor ammonia and perform frequent water changes to keep it a minimal levels, you don't ever need to cycle a tank.
For anything besides a very short term temporary quarantine or hospital tank, this quickly becomes costly (in time/labor and salt), but can be done.
I would not recommend buying any fish until your display is cycled though. You never know what issues you might run into and your qt might be too small for your fish long term.

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on starting a new setup with the reefer 350. I want to also build a simple quarantine tank and keep my fish in there while my main tank is cycling(20gal). Now my question is; do I need to cycle the quarantine tank? Or will I be fine if I have the right parameters? along with right equipment such as heater, hang on filter with a sponge only, wave maker, pvc hiding and a simple light, monitor ammonia and do water changes according to the ammonia level. Should I be able to add fish right after setting up qt or do I have to add some sort of quick start bacteria? And cycle as usual? Do fish less cycle or with fish? Do I need to dose anything? If so what do you recommend? This qt will only be on when I plan on getting new fishes and not permanent. Any advice or information would be highly appreciated!

First batch Fish I’m planning on quarantining before adding to main tanks are : 2 clowns, 1-2 yellow tang(if I see algae growth on the tank.) I will be quarantining until the main tank is fully cycled or longer (4weeks+)
Depends on how you cycle, I got my cycle done completely down to brown diatoms in 18 days. Took a little longer because I screwed it up first 3 days. I also agree with the other commenter based on my research, I would cycle both tanks and wait for brown diatoms in both before you try to buy fish and keep them. I tried something similar to you and the clowns did not make it. So I'd go old fashion cycling with both DT and QT. I also wouldn't QT yellow tangs in a 20g for 4weeks+ if that's what you were planning to do.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to add biosponges in a hob filter and a bottle of bacteria recommended for a tank larger than what I am QT-ing with. Afterwards I add a filter pad underneath the sponges in the HOB filter to be rinsed daily or every other day to prevent food from decaying. Next time to QT, I will likely add some sand for a wrasse and just monitor the copper levels daily

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back