underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI,

So I'm having problems cycling my quarantine tank. I know some people don't cycle their quarantine tanks but since I had time while building the display tank I wanted to cycle it and thought it would be better overall to have it cycled. That was several months ago now and my quarantine tank is not cycled yet... and now my display tank is done and ready to cycle as well so I'm tired of waiting. Lol.

The quarantine tank is a 20 gallon long. Bare bottom. I set it up with a Marineland emperor filter. It has two big bio-wheels turning. I fitted the back of the filter with bio balls and two big sponge filters. I also have extra bio balls floating in the tank. I have two large plastic decorative items with holes and caves. and 1 big air stone roughly 2x2x2. Trying to achieve as much quarantine tank friendly surface area as possible and extra water movement with a large filter.

Here's what I have done so far:
-I started the cycle process at least 4 months ago maybe longer now. I'm running salinity at about 18 PPT and have temp at about 84 degrees F. First I had bought Seachem Stability and added that to the tank according to the directions. Then added 1.5 PPM ammonia. I kept trying to ride with Seachem Stability but after 3 months and nothing happened I gave up. I did a water change and then added some of the Microbacter Start XLM that I originally bought to cycle my display tank. Right away the ammonia converted to nitrite. But since then, now a month ago, the nitrites are not moving.

-I tried doing a 20% water change to lower nitrite a little because I heard Dr Tim say that lower nitrite is actually better to convert it to nitrate. So then when that didn't do anything for a week I did another 30-40% water change and after the water change I added a tray of special grade sand with 7 Microbacter xport bio cubes seeded overnight with more Microbcter Start XLM. That was almost two weeks ago and still nothing! It's driving me crazy at this point. Please help. Lol. What else can I do or where would you guys recommend going from here? Thanks!

*Nitrites are still reading between 2-5 PPM. Ammonia possibly .25 PPM but for all intensive purposes probably 0. Nitrates may be getting a small reading but hard to say. Definitely close to 0. Between 0-5 PPM, hasn't been changing.

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI,

So I'm having problems cycling my quarantine tank. I know some people don't cycle their quarantine tanks but since I had time while building the display tank I wanted to cycle it and thought it would be better overall to have it cycled. That was several months ago now and my quarantine tank is not cycled yet... and now my display tank is done and ready to cycle as well so I'm tired of waiting. Lol.

The quarantine tank is a 20 gallon long. Bare bottom. I set it up with a Marineland emperor filter. It has two big bio-wheels turning. I fitted the back of the filter with bio balls and two big sponge filters. I also have extra bio balls floating in the tank. I have two large plastic decorative items with holes and caves. and 1 big air stone roughly 2x2x2. Trying to achieve as much quarantine tank friendly surface area as possible and extra water movement with a large filter.

-I started the cycle process at least 4 months ago maybe longer now. I'm running salinity at about 18 PPT and have temp at about 84 degrees F. First I had bought Seachem Stability and added that to the tank according to the directions. Then added 1.5 PPM ammonia. I kept trying to ride with Seachem Stability but after 3 months and nothing happened I gave up. I did a water change and then added some of the Microbacter Start XLM that I originally bought to cycle my display tank. Right away the ammonia converted to nitrite. But since then, now a month ago, the nitrites are not moving.

-I tried doing a 20% water change to lower nitrite a little because I heard Dr Tim say that lower nitrite is actually better to convert it to nitrate. So then when that didn't do anything for a week I did another 30-40% water change and after the water change I added a tray of special grade sand with 7 Microbacter xport bio cubes seeded overnight with more Microbcter Start XLM. That was almost two weeks ago and still nothing! It's driving me crazy at this point. Please help. Lol. What else can I do or where would you guys recommend going from here? Thanks!

*Nitrites are still reading between 2-5 PPM. Ammonia possibly .25 PPM but for all intensive purposes probably 0. Nitrates may be getting a small reading but hard to say. Definitely close to 0. Between 0-5 PPM, hasn't been changing.
Nitrite is not so much of threat in saltwater as it is freshwater. So, in principle, your QT is cycled.

I also have found nitrite oxidizing bacteria slow to get going using BioSpira. I am pretty sure it is the bacteria’s fault not yours :)

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI,

I would be adding a bit of whatever food that you intend feeding the quarantinees, to make sure the ammonia stays low. The phosphate it contains may actually boost the nitrite to nitrate process, although nitrite is thought relatively harmless.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is Cycled. You have bacteria. 4 months. It cycled in a month or less. I would be concerned about your test kits. Do a little ghost feeding if you want but net required.
If you never added any bacteria and only added an ammonia source you would have cycled naturally in 4 months.

What test kits are you using

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI,

You’re bumping up against the high end of the temperature range for nitrosomonas bacteria which is the bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite. Why so warm?

“Nitrosomonas is generally found in highest numbers in all habitat in which there is abundance of ammonia ( environment with plentiful protein decomposition or in wastewater treatment), thrive in a pH range of 6.0–9.0, and a temperature range of 20–30 °C (68–86 °F).”

Last edited:

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI,

Salinity also seems a little low. Ocean salinity is 35 PPT

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite is not so much of threat in saltwater as it is freshwater. So, in principle, your QT is cycled.

I also have found nitrite oxidizing bacteria slow to get going using BioSpira. I am pretty sure it is the bacteria’s fault not yours :)
That's cool to know! So for a QT technically if I am only processing ammonia then I should be fine?

Last edited:
OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is Cycled. You have bacteria. 4 months. It cycled in a month or less. I would be concerned about your test kits. Do a little ghost feeding if you want but net required.
If you never added any bacteria and only added an ammonia source you would have cycled naturally in 4 months.

What test kits are you using
API saltwater master test kits and salifert.

And that's what I was thinking too like what the heck even if I never added bacteria I should have cycled by now???? Lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad test kit.
Based on your process, you were easily cycled in days.
It seemed to be accurate with the ammonia reading as I knew exactly how much I had dosed. Nitrite PPM seems to match based on the amount of ammonia to nitrite conversion. So you think the nitrite test kit is reading nitrates? Or what are you saying would be wrong with the test kits?

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re bumping up against the high end of the temperature range for nitrosomonas bacteria which is the bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite. Why so warm?

“Nitrosomonas is generally found in highest numbers in all habitat in which there is abundance of ammonia ( environment with plentiful protein decomposition or in wastewater treatment), thrive in a pH range of 6.0–9.0, and a temperature range of 20–30 °C (68–86 °F).”

Salinity also seems a little low. Ocean salinity is 35 PPT
I was doing this based on Dr Tims lectures where he says the beneficial bacteria are able to thrive and duplicate faster with lower salinity as long as its still above a certain amount as well as higher temperatures. He recommends 18-20 PPT and 84 F. and then correcting it for fish once the tank is cycled. Is this wrong?

Last edited:

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing this based on Dr Tims lectures where he says the bacteria are able to thrive and duplicate faster with lower salinity as long as its still above a certain amount as well as higher temperatures. He recommends 18-20 PPT and 84 F. and then correcting it for fish once the tank is cycled. Is this wrong?
Keep in mind that you need two different kinds of bacteria present in sufficient quantities to complete a cycle. Nitrosomonas to convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrobacter to convert nitrite to nitrate. Good luck with your new tank.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing this based on Dr Tims lectures where he says the beneficial bacteria are able to thrive and duplicate faster with lower salinity as long as its still above a certain amount as well as higher temperatures. He recommends 18-20 PPT and 84 F. and then correcting it for fish once the tank is cycled. Is this wrong?
If you saw Dr. Tim say what you said he said, then I’m certainly not going to argue with Dr. Tim. I myself have never seen that video or instruction.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched your video. Good stuff. I always like to get my information from reliable sources. I’m amazed at how misinformation spreads so readily and widely on the Internet and especially on message boards.

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched your video. Good stuff. I always like to get my information from reliable sources. I’m amazed at how misinformation spreads so readily and widely on the Internet and especially on message boards.
Yea especially for someone like me starting out trying to learn everything and just soak in as much information and knowledge as I can. I had freshwater for years and finally made the long awaited jump to saltwater :) It's been a fun process though I'm excited for the journey and I enjoy the challenge and continuing to learn and master stuff. And the community aspect of the forum and the hobby has been awesome.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seemed to be accurate with the ammonia reading as I knew exactly how much I had dosed. Nitrite PPM seems to match based on the amount of ammonia to nitrite conversion. So you think the nitrite test kit is reading nitrates? Or what are you saying would be wrong with the test kits?
That some hobby grade tests are not so accurate.
Example, my Salifert Phosphate test shows never, below .25ppm whereas my Hanna shows 0.08ppm.
An ammonia test can show colour, even when the level is safe.

I no longer even test for cycle.
Sand, rock, water, bacteria, heat and flow.
I wait a week (likely safe earlier) and in go my first ammonia producers.

Since it’s QT, just keep some saltwater ready if you need it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back