Quarantine tank questions

larrysaltisfun

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 5, 2025
Messages
820
Reaction score
493
Location
outer banks NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting ready to quarantine my fish for marine ich using copper Power

Questions:

I have six medium size tang all 4 inch or less and three small angels

Can I use some of the existing water from the tank They are in as opposed to 100% brand new saltwater.

Realizing it may be a little more difficult to control copper levels is there an opinion as to when I can put a couple pieces of live rock in there to help seed bacteria

Am I better off getting two tanks at about a 55 gallon size given the fish load?


Is there an opinion as to whether or not, I should put a light on top or should daylight be sufficient in terms of feeding them?

I’ve quarantined before, but it’s always been less fish and prophylactically never for treatment

thanks a lot fish medics
 
You should not be using liverock or sand when you treat with theraputic levels of copper. You should keep your tanks sterile and plan to monitor ammonia and change the water frequently. No lights and some pvc for the fish to hide.
 
I get it about the live rock, but if I keep the copper levels constant, which I’ve done before with live rock, is there a theoretical benefit regarding keeping ammonia stable in an effort too reduce the amount of water changes.

I appreciate your comments, but I have kept levels steady in a quarantine tank. As leaching from rocks was the same rate of absorption.
 
I’m getting ready to quarantine my fish for marine ich using copper Power

Questions:

I have six medium size tang all 4 inch or less and three small angels

Can I use some of the existing water from the tank They are in as opposed to 100% brand new saltwater.

Realizing it may be a little more difficult to control copper levels is there an opinion as to when I can put a couple pieces of live rock in there to help seed bacteria

Am I better off getting two tanks at about a 55 gallon size given the fish load?


Is there an opinion as to whether or not, I should put a light on top or should daylight be sufficient in terms of feeding them?

I’ve quarantined before, but it’s always been less fish and prophylactically never for treatment

thanks a lot fish medics
uSE STERILE/NEW WATER, NO ROCK BUT RATHER LG PVC TUBES AND SEEDED SPONGE
 
I get it about the live rock, but if I keep the copper levels constant, which I’ve done before with live rock, is there a theoretical benefit regarding keeping ammonia stable in an effort too reduce the amount of water changes.

I appreciate your comments, but I have kept levels steady in a quarantine tank. As leaching from rocks was the same rate of absorption.

Amine-chelated copper, like copper power, doesn't absorb/adsorb into rock and sand nearly as much or as fast as ionic copper does. Still, some will absorb, and the leaching rate tends to be episodic - it can be stable for a long period, but then release copper if/when the pH of the tank water drops for some reason. Because of that, I tell folks to avoid re-using copper treated rock in tanks with invertebrates.
 
I’m getting ready to quarantine my fish for marine ich using copper Power

Questions:

I have six medium size tang all 4 inch or less and three small angels

Can I use some of the existing water from the tank They are in as opposed to 100% brand new saltwater.

Realizing it may be a little more difficult to control copper levels is there an opinion as to when I can put a couple pieces of live rock in there to help seed bacteria

Am I better off getting two tanks at about a 55 gallon size given the fish load?


Is there an opinion as to whether or not, I should put a light on top or should daylight be sufficient in terms of feeding them?

I’ve quarantined before, but it’s always been less fish and prophylactically never for treatment

thanks a lot fish medics

I commonly reuse tank water (especially relatively pristine water from a reef tank) in less critical use, such as in a fish-only holding or quarantine tank.

I always prefer multiple smaller Q tanks as opposed to a single large one of the same volume - mostly to help avoid compatibility issues, but also to spread the treatment risk out a bit. Having multiple tanks does use more copper test reagents, and takes more maintenance time.

I only use enough light over a QT to observe the fish well, and for the fish to see their food. Lower lights also lower the stress in the fish and helps to manage algae growth.
 
As always, J thank you for a incredibly concise well understood answer. Seriously. I

I do have some rock that has been in quarantine tanks from the past that will never be in a display tank with invertebrates or coral I would like to use some of that rock just to give the fish something and to assist with bacterial growth and I think you’re telling me that should be OK as long as I watch my copper levels closely.
 
As always, J thank you for a incredibly concise well understood answer. Seriously. I

I do have some rock that has been in quarantine tanks from the past that will never be in a display tank with invertebrates or coral I would like to use some of that rock just to give the fish something and to assist with bacterial growth and I think you’re telling me that should be OK as long as I watch my copper levels closely.

Yes - you may find that the copper level will drop for the first couple of days, but then, the absorption rate is less.

Don't forget that amine-chelated copper products will give you a false positive ammonia reading of about 0.50 ppm on most tests - don't chase a number less than that, only worry about ammonia higher than that, as that is coming from the animals, not the copper product. I'm not 100% on this, but the ammonia badges seem immune to reading that copper-bound ammonia.....but I've had poor results overall with the ammonia badges.
 
And that to one of your other comments? Since my tank water is sore, not pristine as it likely has swimming ICH in. My best to go with 100% new salt? I guess my assumption was the copper power would wipe out the free floating immediately.
 
I’m sorry I’m not able to edit these messages that should’ve sent back to your other comment regarding using pristine water
 
And that to one of your other comments? Since my tank water is sore, not pristine as it likely has swimming ICH in. My best to go with 100% new salt? I guess my assumption was the copper power would wipe out the free floating immediately.

Since ich is most easily transferred tank-to-tank via the fish's body, moving some water along with that fish is inconsequential. You're correct, the tomite stage, if present in the water that you use, won't be of any real concern.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 36.8%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 15.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new