Quarantining Puffers

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I had just purchased a Guinefowl puffer and all my fish go into my QT tank that I treat first with Prozipro (1 week) and then copper treatment (6 weeks). Although I usually ramp up copper to the level of 2.5 ppm (using copper power) - I have been reading that puffers don't take well to copper. I am reluctant on skipping QT and was wondering if anyone has successfully used copper on puffers... perhaps specific brand that may be better with puffers.

Thanks!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is not a good idea with puffers, even if surviving they usually die unexpectantly later likely due to organ damage caused by copper. If not satiisfied to do an observation for protazoan diseases, ttm is a good option.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the quick response! so, do you think just using prozipro will be ok?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the quick response! so, do you think just using prozipro will be ok?

Puffers generally handle prazi pro fine, but as with all keep an eye out for distress. I prefer general cure as it contains praziquentel which is the active ingredient in prazi pro and metronidazole as to cover a broader range of parasites and worms. Puffers do have a tendency to come in with internal parasites so treatment for such is advised. You can also use prazi pro as you normally would and mix metroplex in food if they are eating, but a one step with general cure usually works well and is simple enough to use in the water column.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back