Question about BTA and new hosting clowns

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a RBTA, and have had it for about 2 months. Super flowy and *was seemingly* doing awesome. My clowns never cared about it.

About a week ago, my two clouds figured it out, and are in it like crazy all day long. And around the base of the anemone, I see some trochus snails.

I've noticed that during the day, some tenticals are kinda short now and losing the pink color, while most of them are still long and flowy. I have also noticed that at night, it completely shrivels up, and my other BTA (opposite side of tank, only has an anemone crab hosting it) doesn't typically do that.

I also have noticed some brown stuff coming out of it.

Is it possible the nem is just "getting used" to the clowns and reacting? Is it normal for this? My other BTA seems totally fine.

Par is around 210, my other BTA is around 180. Salinity 35, Alk 10, calcium 480, mag 1350, pH 8.2, phosphate 0.23 (working on this), nitrate 20.

Thanks everyone.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown stuff could be waste. It could also be expelling some of its algae. I would tend to go with waste with hiw long it's been in your tank (provided you haven't made any drastic lighting changes). Clowns can pester a nem into bad health. I would just keep an eye on it. I suspect your correct with the idea it's just getting accustomed to hosting two little terrors.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trocus snails are fine. Maybe a picture or two?
BTA require low flow and low light in comparison to other host anemones so 180-200 PAR is OK. I would do more water change to get Nitrates down a bit. 20 nitrated likely not a bother to the anemones but height nitrated like that can be an indication of higher other micro nutrient/solutes that in the water that we don’t measure that May bother the anemones
Lastly, anemones that can sometime deflates a little and perk up again. If it does not return to it’s normal happy self in a day or two than you need to worry more and looks for things that may bother it.

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown stuff could be waste. It could also be expelling some of its algae. I would tend to go with waste with hiw long it's been in your tank (provided you haven't made any drastic lighting changes). Clowns can pester a nem into bad health. I would just keep an eye on it. I suspect your correct with the idea it's just getting accustomed to hosting two little terrors.
Thanks for the insight. The only thing I've done lighting-wise is raise my lights up about 2 inches (was 11 inches, now 13). I'm running AI Prime 32, 2 of them. The PAR was 230 prior to moving them up, and I think moving them up would only slightly lower the Par.... is that a fair assumption?

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah safe assumption. Nems inflate and deflate, move around, shrivel up at night, and generally make one worry when you haven't had them for any length of time.
A couple sudo simple tricks to "test" general well being. Does it accept food, does it react to touch, are the tentacles sticky. These are by no means scientific but many use them as indicators.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back