Question about bulkheads for Brute cans

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I bought two 55g Brute cans for my mixing station. Before anyone mentions uniseals, I have already bought bulkheads and drilled the size for them. On glass it is totally different, but how tight should these bulkheads be tightened on a brute can to ensure flattening of the plastic is sufficient? Also, I have hear mixed things about the rubber gasket. Should it be on the flange side or the nut side?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tighten by hand as tight as you can. That should do it. Add water, if it leaks, tighten further with a wrench if needed. Gasket should be on flange side.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay great. I did not know if I had to be a little more excessive with tightening due to the plastic having "give" to it. It is fine that the nut side is on the inside of the containers right, as long as the gasket is where it needs to be?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay great. I did not know if I had to be a little more excessive with tightening due to the plastic having "give" to it. It is fine that the nut side is on the inside of the containers right, as long as the gasket is where it needs to be?
Assuming you are running pvc into the brute, it needs to go into the flange which would be on the outside.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thumbs Ok GIF by David Shrigley

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bulkhead flange should be on the inside with the gasket, and the nut on the outside without. I tried doing it nut and gasket on the inside a long time ago and it leaked. It leaks because water goes between the nut and the threads on the bulkhead, passed the inner edge of the gasket and out from under the flange on the outside. If you place the flange and gasket on the outside and the nut alone on the inside, it might work.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back