Question about DIY hybrid light

Fred Phipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 24” ATI 4 bulb fixture. I’m going to replace the two center bulbs with LEDs from rapid led that I have in my closet from an old DIY project.

My question is how many 3watt Cree LEDs would be comparable to the two 24watt bulbs I’m going to be removing? I’m going to be using dimmable drivers and I do not have access to a par meter.

I plan on buying individual heat sinks for each led as that seems to be my best bet as far as size and spread for what I’m looking to do. My other option would be a 1.6” heat sink but I feel that won’t give me the spread I need to fill the space.

Any input is appreciated!

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you limited to a 1.6” heatsink? If you flush the heatsink into the chassis of the ati you can go as big as you would like. Also have the option of running optics if you recess the heatsink.

OP
OP
Fred Phipps

Fred Phipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you limited to a 1.6” heatsink? If you flush the heatsink into the chassis of the ati you can go as big as you would like. Also have the option of running optics if you recess the heatsink.

Yeah I’ve actually been doing a bit more research and found a website that has any size heatsink I could ever ask for lol

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the heatsinks are pretty easy to modify. can cut the fins off both edges to make a flange to mount to the chassis. i used heatsinkusa.com in the past.

OP
OP
Fred Phipps

Fred Phipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the heatsinks are pretty easy to modify. can cut the fins off both edges to make a flange to mount to the chassis. i used heatsinkusa.com in the past.
That’s where I’m getting mine from!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%

Back